Friday Five: Criticism

on
Friday, February 15, 2013
This week's Friday Five:
  1. How well do you receive criticism? It really depends on what it's regarding, and who the criticism is coming from. If it's about a skill set (e.g. make-up application), I'd receive it well from someone who has much more experience in said skill (e.g. a make-up artist who has been in the industry for much longer than me). If it's about my intelligence, admittedly not very well. If it's about my looks... well, I suppose it's subjective, but as long as it's honest and not in a way to hurt my feelings, I'd take it well enough. In the end, it's all about the delivery of the criticism. If you're going to criticize, make it constructive.
  2. When did someone else's criticism of you result in growth? It's usually from a teacher; like, when I was in make-up school, my teacher would tell me to alter a technique that I'd used for years to achieve a look in an easier or more efficient way. In terms of personal growth (as opposed to professional), I would say from my best friend, Ben. He's eight years older than I am, so he often has a different outlook on a situation, and he'd tell me to change an approach to something (e.g. relationships) if I was having problems with it (e.g. be less blunt so I don't come off as intimidating).
  3. What do you think of film critics? I don't usually trust them. I've often enjoyed films that critics have generally hated (e.g. Gangster Squad), and I've hated films that they've lauded (e.g. District 9).
  4. What's something you'd like to make a critical statement about right now? This is going to sound really silly, but... people taking beauty bloggers' opinions as gospel. Like, there are readers out there who will outright say they don't like something or won't buy something because one beauty blogger said she didn't like it or rated it poorly. This pisses me off, because one, most beauty bloggers aren't make-up artists or even in the industry — what makes them more of an expert on a product? — and two, these readers haven't even seen or touched these products in person, so they are judging the performance of these products solely through what they see online. Many beauty blogs create incredibly ignorant consumers.
  5. Who's the most critical person you know? Probably me. And then Ben. Oh, and my mom, but she's mostly just critical of me.
4 comments on "Friday Five: Criticism"
  1. What do you think of the new Deftones? I've liked what I've heard so far! Oh, and you have the new Tegan and Sara, which I've purchased but haven't listened to yet. It's been a busy week.

    Thanks for doing the Friday 5 this week! I almost wrote a "...besides your parents!" at the end of question 5, but then decided people should respond however they want. :) Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new Deftones album is pretty good, catchy and quintessentially Deftones, if you will, but it's not quite as evolutionary as Around the Fur or White Pony are. I still listen to those albums to this day (and it's been over a decade since they were released), but I can't see myself listening to Koi Yo Nokan in years to come... Still, there are some great songs on there for those times when you just wanna listen to some head-banging tunes. :)

      The new Tegan and Sara is AMAZING. Completely different from their old sound, but it's so much fun!

      Delete
  2. I so agree with #4. I don't think the problem lies so much with the bloggers (because really, isn't the whole point of a blog to say what you personally think or perhaps these days with sponsors and such...what others pay you to say you think?) ....but those who blindly follow.

    Also....people seem to think because something looks good on a blog, it must look good in real life. Just as magazines photoshop and studio-light-manipulate the hell out of their photos, so do a lot of bloggers. There are just too many TOO perfectly made-up bloggers out there. Unless I'm the only one with skin problems...I call shenanigans on all that perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED. Beauty blogs are meant to be a guide! That's why I don't do a rating system when I review products. Who's to say that high pigmentation is better than low pigmentation? (I know a lot of older ladies like more sheer eyeshadows, for example.) Or to say that a soft texture is better than a firmer texture? And why does that alter the rating, you know? That's why I just state things as I see it as a make-up artist, like, "Because it has a drier texture, it may be harder to blend out."

      Temptalia, for example, will give a product an F rating because it has fall-out (e.g. MAC's Pressed Pigments), but it is such a beautiful product when used. Her followers will say, "Thank god for this review, won't be buying any of them!" Like, that blows my mind because they haven't even seen or touched the product in real life. UGH. So frustrating.

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9