MAC Gareth Pugh for MAC: Nail Lacquer

on
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Ascension and Hyper

MAC will be releasing the Gareth Pugh for MAC collection in stores tomorrow. It is MAC's collaboration with London-based fashion designer, Gareth Pugh, and is MAC's "couture" collection for this year, which is released every holiday season. The Gareth Pugh collection is limited edition and will be available online and at MAC Stores only. This collection will see the release of three new and limited edition nail lacquers, of which I picked up two. Each bottle is housed in limited edition packaging, featuring heavy square glass bottles with an 'X' design on all four sides, and a glossy black cap. Each bottle contains 9 ml of product, and retails for $27.

Ascension and Hyper

Ascension is a grey-purple with a murky grey-green duochrome in a Frost finish. The colour will look different in different lighting and angles: grey-purple in one, grey-green in another, and gold-green in yet another. The effect reminds me of Chanel's Péridot, though Ascension doesn't seem quite as dimensional. Moreover, Ascension is a murkier colour, overall, and tends to emphasize the grey-purple more so than the green aspect. The formula was decent, smooth and easy to apply, though on the sheerer side, so three coats are needed for full colour coverage. It's not too thick or watery, and the brush seems to be a bit thicker than the usual MAC nail lacquer brush, so you can cover more of the nail bed in one stroke. Though I don't personally own it, Deborah Lippmann's Wicked Game seems to be a good dupe for this colour.

Hyper is a deep inky blue with fine blue micro-shimmer and violet pearl in a Frost finish. The colour will flash blue or purple depending on the lighting. The formula on this one is really phenomenal: smooth, even application, good pigmentation, and nearly opaque in one coat. It's not too thick or watery, and the brush seems to be a bit thicker than the usual MAC nail lacquer brush, so you can cover more of the nail bed in one stroke. It is similar to Illamasqua's Phallic, but with lighter shimmer. It is darker than MAC's Ming Blue.

They're both beautiful colours and I don't regret buying them, but I do think $27 is incredibly steep for a nail polish. Even Chanel's polishes are less than that! The packaging feels more "luxury" with the heavier square glass bottles, but I'm indifferent to the design, overall. If you love the colours and have the money to burn, I say go for it. As gorgeous as they are, though, neither of them are must-haves, and I'm sure you could find something similar for less.
13 comments on "MAC Gareth Pugh for MAC: Nail Lacquer"
  1. Wow, MAC is coming out with SO much new stuff! How do you keep up?! I was watching a bunch of youtube videos and one of the "gurus" there said she was given "free" stuff by MAC (to review, I gues?) and honestly, I got really turned off because MAC is already such a GREAT and HUGE company and I don't think they need beauty 'gurus' to validate it. Oh well! Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've been a PRO member for a while, so I get all the updates and e-mails on new collections from MAC about a week before collections are released. Plus, I keep track of new products on beauty blogs and the such. ;)

    And MAC sends free stuff to "gurus" or beauty bloggers not to "validate," per se, but more to see the opinions of the general public -- not just make-up artists. Like, you could give me any product, and I could find a way to make it work, regardless of how good the pigmentation is or the texture, etc. But because MAC is a brand for the masses now, they like to know how "regular" consumers are utilizing their products. I know MAC keeps track of Temptalia, for example, because she has so much influence in the beauty blogging world. Plus, MAC didn't start to advertise their products until a couple years ago (except for Viva Glam products)! Imagine how big MAC has become just through word of mouth, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Irene Li: You'd be surprised how many brands (not just MAC) give products to beauty bloggers :) It's a form of advertisement because if the bloggers like it, they will write good reviews on the products and more people will buy it. Most bloggers are very upfront about this and aren't doing it just for the free stuff. I think it's good that they review some of these items. It helps to have somebody else's opinion on them, somebody who uses/reviews a lot of makeup. Word of mouth is one of the best forms of advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, I'm not missing out on anything. I have all the possible dupes: Wicked Game, Phallic and Ming Blue! I just can't get behind Gareth Pugh stuff in the first place much less the inflated pricing. But I have noticed that I'd get pissed off at a MAC collection only to fall in love with the next one, so... keep us updated, Denise! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want Ascension! It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Fieran -- Couldn't have worded it better myself! Especially for a brand like MAC, who doesn't do much advertising to begin with (their first major one that wasn't for Viva Glam was for their False Lashes mascara) really relies on the masses to help get the word out. :)

    @Liz -- Fair enough. I agree that the "couture" collections are kind of ridiculously overpriced. My favourite one was Baroque Boudoir in 2009 because the packaging was gorgeous... BUT it's hard for a brand like MAC to do something like this because people are used to the regular retail prices, so when you put the same formula of lipstick into a pretty container and charge nearly $10 more for it, it seems a little outrageous. On the other hand, $27 for a tube of lipstick is really nothing compared to brands like YSL, Chanel, Lancome, and Dior, which are all $30+! But, yes, will keep you updated -- I think the Daphne Guinness collection (released Boxing Day) will have you lemming! ;)

    @Sydney -- You should totally get Ascension, only because all the other dupes I can think of are really in the same price range... BUT if you can still find Chanel's Peridot, I would get that first... ;) And if they are both sold out, you can always get Lippmann's Wicked Game, which I think is a couple bucks cheaper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Denise @Fieran Thanks girls! Actually I was not aware that MAC gave out free stuff and figured that they didn't need advertising because they are already huge (which I know realize is probably because of these beauty gurus!!). In a world of technology and social media, people will probably listen to a "real" person via youtube/blog than some actress! Thanks again for clearing that up for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise!

    Okay, so I got all of the blushes (they're so nice!), but could only get Box at the Sephora I went to. They didn't have much selection there so will try another location tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Mary, you're the best! And so efficient! :D Let me know when you're back so we can dim sum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fortunately for my wallet (but unfortunately for me) the Gareth Pugh collection is not available in Norway. *heaves sigh of relief*

    I'm a big fan of MAC so I try not to think about the pricing, etc.. it's more about whether I can justify the expense or really like the colour.

    Living in Norway, the prices of MAC is inflated so much so that it's not a mid-end brand but more high-end.

    A MAC eyeshadow quad costs around 370 NOK [approx. 67 CAD] here (limited edition)..and a Chanel eyeshadow quad is 450 NOK [approx. 80 CAD]. That's about 80 NOKs difference (which is the price of two cups of coffee here).

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Fieran -- Aww, that really sucks. :( I've heard that MAC gets to nearly twice the retail price here in some countries (apparently, it's double the price in Australia!). A pre-made MAC eyeshadow quad costs $45 here, so it's actually quite a significant difference in Norway. If it makes you feel any better, though, MAC prices are more expensive in Canada than in the States -- and MAC is a Canadian company AND it's made in Canada! I'm sure you can find some good dupes for much cheaper in Norway, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm back! Anyway, I tried all three Sephora locations along the strip and NONE of them had Welt or Wanton. Are those like super secret limited edition colours?? lol Sorry :-(

    And thanks to you, my dear, I now have Kink nail polish and Howl lipstick. The lipstick applies like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, Mary, no worries -- they should be permanent, so maybe they're just really popular? Thanks so much for grabbing the stuff for me, though! :)

    I was going to get Howl, but I think it might look too much like Viva Glam I (which means it's awesome)! Oooh, I hope you do a review/swatch/look soon. :) Kink looks gorgeous as well -- look at you, so festive! :)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9