Smith Brothers Steakhouse Tavern

on
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Steph and I went to check out a new steakhouse called Smith Brothers for dinner:


We were both starving when we got there, so we decided to order the Spinach & Artichoke Fondue to start, which is served with salsa, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Many restaurants serve this type of appetizer, and while I didn't think this one was particularly outstanding, I did think it was generally better than the ones they offer at some chain restaurants (e.g. Moxie's). The dip itself was creamy, flavourful, and full of spinach and massive chunks of artichoke hearts. Plus, the chips were crispy and fresh and comes in a generous portion, which is apparently something to write about because I have been to way too many places that serve stale, oily chips (and in small amounts, too, so the dip-to-chip ratio becomes way off). Like many steakhouses, they also give you a basket of bread to start, a round sourdough served piping hot with whipped butter. I will tell you now that if you decide to order an appetizer along with your main meal, you really shouldn't touch the bread at all because you will be too full by the end, and the bread is extremely enticing and addictive. I'm warning you now, because I learned this the hard way.


For our mains, we both ordered a Complete set, which includes your choice of soup or salad, main course, and dessert. I chose the Caesar salad to start, which was above standard quality than I am used to in set meals like this — fresh, full romaine leaves, creamy and flavourful homemade dressing, and crunchy garlicky croutons. Most importantly, however, was the perfect salad-to-dressing ratio, which is what made it stand out to me, since many restaurants either put too much or too little dressing in their salads. For our main courses, we both got the prime rib au jus, which comes with Yorkshire pudding, garlic cream mashed potatoes, and a little dish of horseradish on the side. The meat, perfectly cooked medium rare as ordered, was juicy, tender, and just bloody enough, with a good flesh-to-fat ratio (love talkin' about ratios). The size was also very generous, and the cut was just thick enough to retain all the delicious meaty juices (har, har, har) so that each bite just explodes with beefy flavour. It's pretty much all I could ask for in a prime rib, really. 

The Yorkshire pudding was beautiful in texture — crispy and golden on the outside and soft and flaky on the inside — but was a little bland in terms of flavour. Honestly, though, I could barely make a dent in it since I had a decent-sized food baby by the time I could even pay attention to it, so this is not a deal-breaker for me. Likewise with the mashed potatoes, which are so creamy and so garlicky (seriously, you get some major dragon breath after eating this) and incredibly addictive, but so damn filling. I had maybe four bites before I surrendered, and I was disappointed in myself because it was so good and I couldn't bear to waste it. But the food baby had turned into twins by this point, and I couldn't continue. When I have this much food presented to me and I know I won't be able to finish it, I have to decide what is most worth eating and list in my head the order in which I will proceed. I don't know if it's my Asian mentality of "eat the most expensive thing on your plate before you get too full," but obviously, I will work my hardest to finish the meat, and then follow with the cheaper (and obviously less superior) carb-loaded sides. I am like this with fast food as well, I'll have you know (eat the burger first, and then the fries), so it's not like I'm being a snob here.


For dessert, we both decided on the crème brûlée. Now, it must be noted that the time between me tapping out of the main course and dessert arriving at the table was at least 15 minutes, so I had some time to digest. Not that I didn't still have food twins, but you know, I somehow miraculously made room for dessert. Or, at least, I did mentally. Now, crème brûlée can be a controversial dessert, because there are so many different versions and so many different opinions on what makes it "authentic." Some people say to serve it room temperature, some say warm, but Smith Brothers serves their version cold, and it was positively delightful. The custard was dense but not too rich, creamy but not too thick, and had a light, sweet vanilla flavour that wasn't too cloying. The layer of sugar on top was just thin enough, with a beautiful crackly, golden, perfectly burnt finish. The portion is much bigger than I'm used to, but there was something really addictive about this dessert that made me want to eat the whole thing even though I was nearing food triplets at this point. Authentic or not, it's goddamn tasty. (Honestly, I take food for what it is, and not what it should be.)

Our server was an older Asian gentleman, who was super-quick and efficient, polite and helpful, and made sure we had everything we needed without hovering. Even though he gave us our own glass pitcher of water for our table, he'd still drop by and refill our glasses if he saw that they were nearing empty. And when the restaurant was nearing closing time, he didn't make us feel rushed to pay and get out. Oh, and he also clears tables like a mother (the way he just piled up every single dish on the table and took them all out in one go — that's some serious arm strength). All in all, impressed with the service, impressed with the food, and impressed with the overall design and atmosphere of the restaurant (large, open concept, casual but sleek and modern). Both Steph and I decided that while it's not better than a fancier steakhouse, it certainly does give you the more bang for your buck considering the quality you get. Think of it as the relaxed, more casual version to The Keg. If you're craving steak in Scarborough, this is definitely the place to check out.


Smith Brothers Steakhouse Tavern
880 Warden Avenue
Scarborough, ON M1L 4W6
(416) 751-3100
4 comments on "Smith Brothers Steakhouse Tavern"
  1. "...the food baby had turned into twins by this point, and I couldn't continue." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahahaha, I was waiting to see if you were going to have quints.

    It never would occur to me to go to Scarborough for a steak, but good to know the option is there. Your pictures look amazing, and all that stuff is basically some of my fave food in the world... so, you know, I shall end this comment with...

    I'M HUNGRY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I was nearing quints, Liz. :P Thought my water was gonna break!

      It wouldn't occur to me to go Scarborough for a steak, either, let me tell you. But Steph heard about this new steakhouse and read that it was pretty good, so we decided to check it out. :)

      Those are some of my favourite foods, too! I wish I could have a magical stomach expansion fairy so I could eat more. :( And then also a magical weight loss fairy so I could eat more without gaining a million pounds. :(

      I'm hungry, too!!! :( DAMN ME.

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9