Saturday Nine: The Trolley Song (1944)

on
Saturday, August 20, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)


  1. In this movie clip, just about everyone (except Judy) is wearing a hat. Do you wear hats for fashion, for warmth or for both? I don't wear hats. I do, however, wear the hood of my parka in the winter when it's especially cold.

  2. This song is from Meet Me in St. Louis, which was a huge hit and the second highest grossing movie of 1944. When is the last time you watched a movie in the theatre? Two weeks ago; I watched Suicide Squad.

  3. The movie follows the Smith family as their hometown, St. Louis, prepares to host the 1904 World's Fair. What's the biggest thing happening in your hometown? The Ex just opened! I'm hoping to go in the next couple weeks to check out the food offerings this year.

  4. This week's featured artist, Judy Garland, is best known as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. That movie is shown so often that Sam thinks she may have seen it a dozen times. Is there a movie or holiday special you've seen over and over? Elf, Home Alone, and Home Alone 2. They never get old.

  5. Judy admitted to being perpetually tardy. Are you usually prompt? Or are you always running late? It depends. If it's for work, I'm usually early. If it's for a big event like a wedding, I'm usually prompt. For casual social engagements like dinner with friends, I'm usually five to ten minutes late. Not on purpose, it just always happens that way.

  6. Judy's first professional performance was a rendition of "Jingle Bells" when she was just two. How old were you when you entered your chosen profession? I was 18 when I entered the cosmetics industry, but 24 when I became a certified makeup artist.

  7. Thinking of "Jingle Bells," here's a wintery question for a hot summer day: What's your favourite carol? Does John Williams' "Somewhere in my Memory" from Home Alone 2 count? If not, I guess I'd pick "O Holy Night," 'cause it doesn't annoy the shit out of me.

  8. Judy was a very demonstrative person. She enjoyed hugs and admitted that, when she nervous, she took emotional support from physically reaching out. Are you demonstrative? With my family, no. Asians don't seem to be really touchy-feely people. But with friends, yeah, sure.

  9. She told Barbara Walters that people would be surprised to learn that she was a good cook and specialized in desserts. Do you have a sweet tooth? When I'm PMSing, yes. But typically, no. I enjoy dessert after a meal, but even then, I can't eat a lot of it. 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9