Rosemary & Thyme

on
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
As many of you will know, I am nocturnal. Hopelessly so, in fact, as no matter how early or late I wake up, I always somehow find a way to be nocturnal again. I passed out on the couch while reading (I am seriously addicted to The Mortal Instruments series right now, and somehow finished three of the books in the past week) and found myself waking up at 8:00am — two hours after I typically go to bed. I decided to be productive instead of going back to sleep, so I took a shower, made some iced coffee, made an appointment with my auto guy, got my tires changed, went to Loblaws to pick up a few Joe Fresh goodies and some groceries, stowed my winter tires in my garage (which was basically my workout for the week), and then decided to meet up with Steph for brunch at Rosemary & Thyme.


For those who have never been there, it's a neighbourhood breakfast joint, a super-quaint, family-owned operation in a relatively run-down plaza. It's one of those places that you would never even notice if a local didn't point it out, but it's a lovely gem of a place. The food is tasty and decently priced, the waitresses are incredibly nice and welcoming, and the restaurant is small and cozy. They specialize in comfort food, and are really known for their breakfast/brunch options (they close quite early, sometime in the afternoon, but they serve their breakfast menu from open to close). I'd only been there once before, and decided to try the Eggs Benedict this time. Two toasted English muffins, topped with just-salty-enough pan-fried peameal bacon, three poached eggs, and drizzled with an extremely generous coating of creamy hollandaise sauce. The eggs were very slightly overcooked so that the insides weren't as runny as poached eggs typically are, but hey, I'm not looking for authenticity here, and they were satisfying, comforting, and perfectly delicious. I opted for homefries as my side, and was delighted to see that they were freshly pan-fried potatoes rather than the frozen crap dumped in a deep fryer that many breakfast places serve. It's not the classiest breakfast place, but there is something incredibly charming about it. If I ever get up early enough to go out for breakfast again, I will certainly return here.


Rosemary & Thyme
2798 Victoria Park Avenue
North York, ON M1W 1C2
(416) 499-0880
4 comments on "Rosemary & Thyme"
  1. WANT. Oh my god, I want that breakfast NOW! I used to think I didn't like hollandaise sauce...it was more that I knew as soon as I had it I'd be toast. YUMMY.

    Also - I didn't know you were nocturnal! I am a pretty big morning person (which means a fairly early bedtime as well) and I like it because I feel super-productive...but I always kind of envy nighttime people - I can't help but feel you live a more edgy, sophisicated, badass life ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, hollandaise sauce is SO GOOD but SO FATTENING... just like bearnaise sauce or bechamel sauce... And you kind of want to drench everything in it... :(

      LOL!!! Yes, I'm just the epitome of BADASS. It's weird, actually, it's not like I do anything out of the ordinary in the middle of night; I mostly read or paint my nails or watch TV shows or blog, lol. For some reason, I'm more productive at night than I am in the morning. It's so bad, though, because most everyone else I know runs on a "regular" schedule, like waking up in the morning and going to bed around midnight. I don't have people to hang out with when I'm the most awake. :(

      Delete
  2. "If I ever get up early enough to go out for breakfast again" - LOL!

    I love eggs benedict. It's what I order 95% of the time when I go out for brunch, because who the hell has time to make that thing at home?

    But sometimes I prefer the frozen fake potato stuff, because the real potatoes can be just TOO potato-y. (Sophisticated language there, I know - someone hire me to be food critic!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think that's exactly why I order Eggs Benedict, too (or Eggs Florentine, or any other variation), 'cause I would never make it at home. I don't know how to poach eggs, and I don't really wanna learn, LOL.

      LOL, do you mean "starchy"? ;) But I agree, sometimes the frozen homefries are good in the same way that frozen fries are good... But you know they're way unhealthier with all that batter and stuff. There's a time and a place for both. ;) I guess it just seems classier using real potatoes as a side to Eggs Benedict, lol.

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9