Photolog 2019: Day 200 of 365

on
Friday, July 19, 2019

So, this was my day today. To be honest, it was my fault for procrastinating so long. My car door hadn't been closing properly for about two months. Basically, the door jamb wouldn't lock into place when I closed it, so the door would bounce back out. This is a problem because my car cannot lock if both doors are not fully closed, and I obviously can't drive anywhere with the door jamb unattached because the door will fly open, which presents a whole other slew of problems. Usually, I'd fiddle with the gear or whatever (you know, the part in the door that locks onto the hook) and I'd be able to close it after a few minutes, so I figured that there was just something loose inside the lock system but it wasn't anything I could handle on my own. Sometimes I'd just go into my car through the passenger side just to avoid fixing it.

But today, the door jamb officially K.O.'d. I arrived in the parking lot at work, opened my door as usual and it wouldn't close, so I tried my usual fiddling trick. But ten minutes later, it still wouldn't close. I called in to work saying that I was in the parking lot trying to fix my car door and didn't know how long it would take. I'm not risking leaving my car door open in a public parking lot, either. 45 minutes later, after having asked three random strangers if they knew anything about car door jambs (they took a look, also tried fiddling with it to no avail, and then said, "I'm so sorry, but good luck!") and calling Ronsee to see if he knew anything (he said he could come to look at it on his lunch break, but he didn't have his tools with him, anyway, and then suggested I use duct tape which was moot because I couldn't leave my car unattended due to it being unable to close, let alone lock), I finally came to terms with my predicament. I could not fix it on my own and needed help.

I called Volkswagen Roadside Assistance. They said to try jiggling with the gear. I told them I already did, for at least an hour at that point. They said I'd need to drive it to the nearest dealership so their mechanics can assess the problem. I told them that I can't even close the door, let alone lock it, and I can't drive with an open door because it's super dangerous and I'm pretty sure it's illegal. They said I would then need to have the car towed to a Volkswagen dealership. But then they told me that my Roadside Assistance expired in 2016, and that because I live in Canada, I should call CAA. So I called CAA. I had to sign up for a membership because you have to be a member for CAA to help you. So they sent roadside assistance with a tow truck. They said that the person coming will assess the problem and if they conclude that it can't be fixed on-site, they will tow your car to wherever you need. So the CAA guy arrived after about 20 minutes. He tried to fix the door jamb on-site, again to no avail. So, he towed it to my original Volkswagen dealership where I bought the car (it's also the closest one to my house). They looked at the car and assessed it. Concluded that the door lock assembly was faulty and some part of it had gotten totally loose. It would cost $411 for labour, parts, and tax.

But that extended warranty that my mom insisted I get when I bought this car? CAME FUCKING THROUGH. And guess what? It expires NEXT MONTH. So all I had to pay today was the tax and the diagnostic fee. SILVER LINING, INDEED.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9