Photolog 2019: Day 2 of 365

on
Wednesday, January 2, 2019
Step 1: Get McDonald's fries. Medium size is ideal.

Step 2: Pick your Shake Shake seasoning flavour.

Step 3: Put fries and seasoning into paper bag. Shake well. Eat deliciously.

If you were born before 1990 in Canada, you might remember McDonald's Shake Shake Fries. It's literally an order of fries with a packet of flavoured seasoning powder — you put them both into a paper bag and shake them to get flavoured fries. Anyway, this simple but genius idea was discontinued here in the early '90s. But it's still available in Asia! And I guess my friend remembered my story/rant over the discontinuation of Shake Shake Fries in Canada, because he came back from Hong Kong a couple weeks ago with about a dozen Shake Shake seasoning packets for me (and he brought back extra bags, too). I almost forgot about these packets until I decided to clean out my work tote last night (I shoved them in there thinking I would get McDonald's during lunch at work but I never did). So I went to McDonald's this evening to get some fries for the very specific purpose of using these packets of delight. I decided to try the Chef Nic Typhoon Shelter Crab flavour today because it sounded the most intriguing. And it tasted like I accidentally dropped seafood ramen seasoning onto my fries... which is to say, it was glorious. I will try the Seaweed and Sweet BBQ flavours over the next couple weeks, but for real, we need to bring this back worldwide. Like, I could bring my own seasoning powder to McDonald's... but that would be tedious, you know?
2 comments on "Photolog 2019: Day 2 of 365"
  1. Loving Heinz 57 ketchup with french fries but this gives me one of my good ideas.

    Do you have a Japanese grocery store in your neighborhood? ふりかけ / furikake is a seasoning for rice. There is a Hawaiian delicatessen in my 'hood which carries a limited range of furikake. I may need a wider selection for french fries which means a trip to Chicago. Available as granular and powdered.

    I am thinking powdered seaweed, shiso leaf, black pepper and fish flakes would be very good with french fries. Or maybe even pickled plum and fish flakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a good idea! There's a ton of Asian supermarkets in my area, so I think I might just pick up some furikake on my next trip there... :)

      French fries are just such a good flavour vessel...

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9