Yang's Kitchen

on
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Dinner with the girls — yes, all you can eat Japanese again. This time, at Yang's Kitchen:



Edamame


Salmon and white tuna sashimi


Spicy salmon rolls and California rolls


Salmon roses


"Thousand Island" (crab salad) rolls


Deluxe sushi pizza


Deep-fried scallops with mayo (!)


Chicken teriyaki skewers


Beef ribs


Steak teriyaki

It was my first time at Yang's Kitchen and while the food was really good and varied and got to our table at top speed, I probably won't be returning. The service was just terrible. All the waiters had this exasperated look about them, like serving you is very low on their priority list. I swear, you can raise your hand all you want, but they will act like they suddenly got tunnel vision and purposely ignore you, acting like they're busy with something else. If they deign to acknowledge your existence, you better know exactly what you're ordering, because I swear to you, they just kept sighing and rolling their eyes with impatience while we were deciding on the last few things we wanted. (Like, how dare you not know whether you want three pieces of sushi or four?!) It's stupid, anyway, because they bring the wrong amount you wanted to begin with. Six deep-fried scallops means three to them, apparently.

Also, the waiters barely speak English, so you better get your index finger ready to point at things on the menu. Or, you know, bring someone who is mighty fluent in Cantonese and/or Mandarin. Moreover, they have a policy that insists on charging regular prices to any leftover food, and they kept bringing us food that we didn't order. This happened four times. Not that a plate of 24 spring rolls is bad, we just can't eat it all. And to add insult to injury, they automatically add a mandatory service charge to your bill. (Um, since when is it mandatory to tip?! Not that we wouldn't, but it's nice to have a choice, you know?) Seriously, read this story about an experience at this restaurant, it's insane. Anyway, yeah, food's good but the place is run by complete douche bags.


Yang's Kitchen
4261 Highway 7
Markham, ON L3R 9W6
(905) 944-0818
16 comments on "Yang's Kitchen"
  1. I had never heard of this place before but coincidentally, a colleague of mine went for dinner for the first time yesterday! I should ask her about her experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely ask her about her experience! Like, don't get me wrong, the food is great, but I seriously don't know how they run the place! I've never had such bad service at an AYCE restaurant.

      Delete
  2. I read the RFD review... lol, holy cannoli was that thread a mess!
    Also, that owner/manager lady sounds like SUCH a psycho. There are so many other AYCE sushi places too.

    But looking at those photos you took - that sashimi looks really good.

    PS. Maison Du Japan is going through renos and is re-opening soon. I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, holy cannoli!

      Yeah, the owner sounds scarypants. Like, how do you threaten to call the police over a fucking receipt?!

      The food is really good, not gonna lie, but so are tons of other AYCE places, as you said. Have you been to Yang's Kitchen before?

      I didn't even know they were closed for reno! I went there a couple months ago for a meeting, and their decor IS rather dated... But MDJ is definitely still one of my faves for AYCE. :)

      Delete
    2. Maybe she wanted the receipt for...dis-honest purposes. Or maybe she just really likes them? Crazycat!

      Nope, I've never even heard of Yang's Kitchen. MDJ is our "go to" place for Japanese AYCE, but now we just go to Dragon Pearl for their variety, service and decor. Have you gone yet??

      Delete
    3. I have a feeling it's for taxation purposes... Reporting to the government how much they make and shit, you know. I have a feeling they pay their workers under the table, too. JUST AN INKLING.

      I haven't gone to Dragon Pearl yet. :( I wanted to with Anj and Suzie but we ended up going to Matsu instead 'cause we were afraid that there wasn't going to be as many vegan options for Anj. Do you go to Dragon Pearl with Rich? Does he like it?

      Delete
    4. Nope, Rich hasn't gone yet!
      But thinking about what foods he can eat there... loads of amazing avocado and/or cucumber rolls, sometimes inari, lots of salad, veg like asparagus...maybe a tofu dish? I don't think I'd take him there, only because it's just not worth the $$! For a vegetarian, sure. Not so much a vegan, though going for lunch (on a weekday $12.99) would be worth it. He loves avocado rolls!

      Delete
    5. That's what we figured, 'cause usually these type of buffets where you go up to get food don't have as many options for vegans. Whatever, I'll go to Dragon Pearl with non-vegans, lol!

      Delete
  3. god everything looks sooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Irene!!! Everything was delicious -- I seriously ate my weight in sashimi. :P

      When are you gonna start blogging again, missy?

      Delete
  4. I don't think you ordered enough salmon there! LOL

    Charging for leftover food is weird and should be outlawed. Like, you already paid for your meals but they charge you extra for not finishing it??? Fucking whack. I'll have to catch up on the crazy thread later (I LOVE reading that sort of drama), and yeah, they sound FISHY FISHY FISHY - pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's NEVER enough!!! And to be fair, we SHARED that plate... Just sayin'.

      I totally agree, I think it's such a scam. Like, as if paying $24.99 each wasn't enough? That's why I like going to places like Matsu and Maison du Japon -- no leftover charge.

      And let's just say, that thread involves assault and calling the cops. INSANITY.

      Delete
    2. I finally read it. Wow, the guy had some restraint because I WOULD HAVE PUNCHED HER. But I suppose that wouldn't help the cause. :x

      Delete
    3. I also love how that RFD thread veers off into its own crazy. People.

      Delete
  5. OMG THIS is the AYCE that I spoke of some time ago.. I remember the service being MEH but the food was GREAT! Haven't really gone back since it's way too far for me (I usually just end up at either Hockey Sushi or Centre St. Sushi in Thornhill), but that story is enough for me to write Yang's Kitchen off altogether.

    Like you're being charged for tip WITH the tax included?? THAT SHIT IS CRAZY! And can you elaborate on the taxation purposes part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the food is super good, but super shit service, for real. There are so many other places that have great food and are the same price and the waiters are MUCH nicer. Remember at Matsu, even the manager came up to us and was so super nice and offered to get us some soup while we order... Now that's good service!

      It's like why so many Asian stores/restaurants only accept cash. So they don't have to pay as many taxes, 'cause the more your company makes, the more taxes you pay. With cash, there's no paper trail!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9