Julep Maven Box: March 2012

on
Thursday, March 8, 2012

It's that time of the month again: I got my March Julep Maven box! Like last month, I opted for the "Boho Glam" box instead of my usual "It Girl" box, 'cause out of the four boxes they offer monthly, this one had the nail polish colours that appealed the most to me in the preview photos. This month's "Boho Glam" box included a nail file, and a bottle of Julep Elixir Organic Moroccan Argan Oil (which is fantastic for skin and hair), and two bottles of nail polish:

Alicia and Portia (on top of China Glaze's For Audrey)

Alicia is a medium bright salmon coral-pink in a cream finish. It applies smoothly and evenly, with very high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It's a little on the thicker side, so it can be prone to pulling a bit, but it does go completely opaque in one coat. I don't have a ton of coral nail polishes to compare it to, but it is very slightly more orange than Butter London's Trout Pout.

Portia is a light tropical blue jelly base with iridescent glitter. It applies smoothly and evenly, with low pigmentation and sheer colour pay-off. Julep actually calls this a "sparkle top coat," so it's meant to be sheer and layered on top of another polish. (I used China Glaze's For Audrey in the swatch picture.) The blue jelly base adds a subtle tint of blue to the nail, but not enough to drastically alter the shade of any polish that is underneath it. I can't think of an exact dupe for this, though MAC's Unconditionally Fabulous and China Glaze's Snow Globe offer a similar effect.

Overall, I think this box is well worth it with $52 worth of full-sized products inside. Though not the most unique, both Alicia and Portia are really pretty colours for Spring. The Moroccan Argan Oil is also fantastic — my hands are constantly dry, red, flaking, and irritated from the cold and from sanitizing them so often, and I already see a drastic improvement after rubbing the oil into them. It's also fantastic for hair, and I can use it in place of my Moroccan Oil when I'm done with it. I was actually interested in getting Josie Maran's version, but am so glad I didn't spend $58 on it now that I have this one!
8 comments on "Julep Maven Box: March 2012"
  1. I thought the Julep line only carried nail products! I loveeeee putting oil on my hair or mixing it with my lotion for extra moisture! I'm pretty much ALWAYS in air conditioned rooms (work, malls, when i sleep) and my skin gets SO dry :(

    Josie Maran is the model right? Her line of beauty products so expensive!! I checked it out in the Sephora website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Julep originally started out with just nail products but they are slowly expanding their line... The argan oil is a new multi-purpose product they brought out, and I think they have lip glosses now as well. It will be interesting to see how big Julep gets over the next couple years! :) And trust me, nothing can make skin more dry than cold, harsh winters... Like now, for example, it's -5C outside. :P I understand dry skin! Especially since I'm eczema-prone, too. :(

      And yes, Josie Maran is most famous for being a Maybelline model. :) I actually have never used her beauty products, but a lot of them get rave reviews. They are really expensive, though!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, these colours look PRETTTTTTTTY. I'm turning into a bigger polish whore than ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I don't know if I can even become a bigger polish whore. We are both enablers. :(

      Delete
  3. The Alicia is quite a pretty color! Great for everyday.

    Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for visiting MY blog! :)

      And, yeah, I don't often buy coral colours for myself, so it's a really nice option to have for Spring/Summer. :) I think it'll look nicer with a tan. :)

      Delete
  4. I got my box too and the colours I got are so MEH. I completely forgot to check the options for this month :(.

    P.S. I'm so excited for Burger's Priest, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which box did you get???

      OMG, ME TOO. Maybe we will even get around to those epic ice cream waffles for dessert...

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9