Dining Out: Yakitori, Kushiyaki, Agemochi, Mentaiko Carbonara Udon, and Butadon at Sumoki Yakitori

on
Friday, January 26, 2024
After postponing our dinner plans twice because of my having COVID, Iris and I finally got to check out the newly-opened Sumoki Yakitori. In the GTA, there are many izakaya-style restaurants that serve yakitori, but few that actually specialize in it, so it was exciting to find out that one opened so close to home. Especially exciting to me because I haven't had yakitori since going to Japan last April, and also because this was my first real meal out in three weeks.

Sumoki skewer set: AAA beef tenderloin, chicken breast with wasabi, momo (chicken thigh), negima (chicken thigh and Tokyo onion), and P-toro (pork belly)

Hokkaido scallop and unagi (eel) skewers

Agemochi

Mentaiko carbonara udon

Butadon

Vanilla ice boat 

Now, yakitori technically refers to chicken skewers, but it's often used as a blanket term for kushiyaki in general, which is what Sumoki does here. We got a total of 7 different skewers, all of which were incredible. My favourites were the beef tenderloin, negima, and unagi, but there was not a single disappointing one. In fact, everything we ordered tonight was truly spectacular. No, seriously, I thought it was just me because I got my sense of taste back and was just dazzled by all the astounding flavours, but Iris confirmed my sentiments exactly. I don't think I've had a multi-course meal where the entire party exclaimed, "MMMM!" to every single dish ordered, but this is exactly what happened tonight. The agemochi was perfectly charred and crispy on the outside and delightfully chewy on the inside; the mentaiko carbonara udon was creamy, decadent, and the very definition of umami; the butadon had the most addictively crisped pork with rice made velvety by the most perfectly gooey egg; and the vanilla ice boat, a smoky purple sweet potato paired with rich vanilla bean ice cream, was the perfect ending to our meal. 

On top of the impeccable food, the service was immaculate — pleasant and welcoming, attentive and efficient, lightning fast with the water refills — and the ambience was super-chill with great music, to the point where we were there for nearly 3 hours. It's somehow trendy and modern but laid-back and comfortable at the same time. With only one visit, Sumoki has easily become my favourite non-sushi Japanese restaurant in the city. I will return ASAP.


Sumoki Yakitori
18 Fred Varley Dr., Unit 9
Markham, ON L3R 1S4
(905) 944-9556
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9