Photolog 2019: Day 123 of 365

on
Friday, May 3, 2019
SsangKye Jjimdak Braised Chicken House

The "BTS table"

I decided to go on a BTS pilgrimage this evening with my friends Maegan and Jason, and went to SsangKye Jjimdak Braised Chicken House for dinner. It's the same restaurant that BTS went to on their trip here last September, as we saw in the most recent Run BTS! episode. We coincidentally got seated at the same table that BTS sat at when they were there (I ended up sitting in the same seat as Yoongi did), much to the dismay of the group of girls who came in 20 minutes after us and realized that the "BTS table" was occupied. (I knew they were ARMY because a) they kept pointing to our table, and b) one of the girls literally had the "BTS in Toronto" V Live episode playing on her phone. This was further proven after we left; we peered back in the window to see all four girls standing around the table we had just vacated, taking selfies.)

Honey garlic pizza

White cheese jjimdak with black sauce

Anyway, we decided to share the honey garlic pizza that BTS raved about in the episode (the one that they ended up having to play rock-paper-scissors for to see who would get the last piece), and the white cheese jjimdak with black sauce. Okay, first of all, BTS was not exaggerating. The pizza is no joke. It's super cheesy and perfectly garlicky with a drizzle of sweet honey, all topped on a thin crust and it was just so fucking good. I would legit eat this every day if I could (you know, if I didn't have to be on a super-healthy diet — today's obviously cheat day). I don't know why honey on pizza isn't a thing here 'cause it's actually really popular in Asia, but the sweetness cuts the garlic in a way that makes it very addictive. Like, it satisfies all my flavour cravings all at once and every single one of my tastebuds sings in happiness. Yes, it's that good.

Likewise, the white cheese jjimdak with black sauce was phenomenal, and had all sorts of goodies along with the chicken, like rice cakes, cheese-filled rice cakes, glass noodles, potatoes, and carrots. The sauce is essentially soy sauce-based, but there's a light sweetness in it (Koreans love mixing their sweet and salty) that gives it more dimension and cuts the saltiness so it doesn't feel as heavy. The addition of white cheese (I've realized in my healthy eating that I can't live without cheese) gives it a beautiful richness and flavour that actually reminds me of French onion soup, if, you know, French onion soup was served in a massive hot plate... and wasn't soup. Honestly, I gotta say that, even without being totally BTS-biased, this was truly some of the best Korean food I've ever had in this city. 100% recommend, and would come again. (Hopefully really soon. I still have to try the red sauce version. And eat another pizza.)
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9