Photolog 2018: Day 270 of 365

on
Thursday, September 27, 2018
Our second day in NYC began in Koreatown because we were craving Korean food and also wanted to buy some Korean skincare products. (I also enjoy the healthy amount of appreciation for BTS in the stores around there.)


There are dozens of Korean restaurants to choose from just on this one street, but we decided upon Five Senses, which ended up being one of the nicest authentic Korean restaurants I've ever been to. It's also the most expensive Korean restaurant I've ever been to, but that could just be the standard pricing in NYC (because everything is expensive in NYC). On that note, though, it was one of the tastiest Korean meals I've ever had (I have not been to South Korea, but I work with what I have access to). We started with a most beautifully golden, perfectly crispy kimchi pajeon, and then Chelsea had her usual bibimbap and I got the budae-jjigae (their version uses kimchi, sausage, ham, Berkshire pork belly, bacon, tofu, rice cakes, and ramen — so basically, it's heaven). While I think Chinese restaurants in Toronto are far superior than ones in NYC, I prefer the Korean restaurants in NYC to the ones in Toronto.


After lunch, we decided to look at some shops in Koreatown and dropped into the Nature Republic store to stock up on some skincare. I came here last year with Ronsee and bought a number of things that I really ended up loving but aren't readily available in Toronto. So this time, I decided to try some new products and ended up getting the Hawaiian Deep Sea Mild Scrub Foam Cleanser, City-Care Marine Water Toner, City-Care Marine Water Cream, Polynesia Lagoon Water Hydro Essence, Jeju Sparkling Cleanser Water, and Bee Venom Mist Essence (I wish I had gotten a couple more bottles of this mist; my skin randomly gets irritated and this mist immediately soothes it and takes away any itchiness or redness, which no other spray has ever done for me before). And because that apparently wasn't enough Korean skincare, I also ended up getting Glow Recipe's Blueberry Bounce Gentle Cleanser and Watermelon Pink Juice Moisturizer when Chelsea dragged me into Sephora to look at makeup. So, yeah. I'm really set for skincare for like, the next year.


After spending the rest of the afternoon shopping in and around the Herald Square area, we headed back to the hotel to drop our bags off before rushing to the August Wilson Theatre to watch Mean Girls on Broadway. (We literally made it there with a minute to spare.) I almost forgot how good Mean Girls is. Tina Fey did a great job at updating the jokes and slang to fit today's teens, and the entire cast are phenomenal singers. As with the movie, my favourite character in the musical is Karen. She just gets the best lines. I find some musicals to be quite tedious or boring to watch, but this one was entertaining and funny and true to the original film. Highly recommend!


It would have been silly to be in the Theater District and not go to Shake Shack. The line-up wasn't too bad (it didn't go out the door and down the sidewalk like the last time I was there), but it was still crazy busy in there with all tables filled, so we took our orders to go to eat at our hotel (which was within walking distance). I was starving, so I got my usual Shack Stack as well as a regular single burger and a black & white milkshake. Because, you know, go big or go home. (For the amount of money and calories, I prefer getting a second burger to getting fries from Shake Shack.) And given how many burgers I've tried in and out of Toronto, I still think Shake Shack makes the best fast food burger of all time.


Five Senses
9 W 32nd Street
New York, NY 10001
(212) 441-0005

Nature Republic
33 W 32nd Street
New York, NY 10001
(212) 244-9444

August Wilson Theatre
245 W 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019
(800) 745-3000

Shake Shack
691 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10036
(646) 435-0135
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9