BTS (feat. Nicki Minaj) — IDOL

on
Thursday, September 6, 2018

I'm actually kind of surprised that BigHit decided to release a music video for "IDOL" featuring Nicki Minaj. I guess this was a smart move from a marketing standpoint because BTS is on tour in North America right now and Nicki Minaj just released her new album, and this collaboration will only help with publicity, airplay, hype, and sales of both BTS' and Nicki's albums globally. But the reason I'm surprised is because they already released the music video for the original version of "IDOL" and it broke all sorts of records, and this alternate version of "IDOL" featuring Nicki isn't actually that different aside from her cameo in it for her verse. (I do think it's clever that the editors cut the video to make it seem like BTS and Nicki were FaceTiming each other on their phones instead of making it seem like they actually filmed it together because everyone knows that they would have filmed Nicki's scene at a totally different time and location.)

I'm actually pretty indifferent to Nicki's addition to the song; I think her voice and flow and lyrics work well with the song and I'm glad that BTS got to collab with such a big American rap artist (and a female one, at that!), and I will totally listen to it whenever it comes on my playlist, but I don't like it more than the original. I guess when Nicki Minaj agrees to appear in a music video for your song, you'd be a fool to say no, though. What makes this video really cool, though, is that BigHit included a bunch of clips of ARMY doing the #IDOLChallenge at the end of the video. Not only is it nice to see this kind of fan appreciation and recognition, but it's also showing just how much of a global juggernaut that BTS has become.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9