Saturday Nine: I Wish It Would Rain (1968)

on
Saturday, August 26, 2017
This week's Saturday Nine:


  1. This week's song focuses on rain. Ombrophobia — the fear of rain — is fairly common in children. How do you feel about rainy days? I might be one of the few people I know that actually loves rain. I like watching it, hearing it, falling asleep to it, and leaving my car outside in it so I get a free car wash. It's fantastic.

  2. Lead singer David Ruffin always wore corrective lenses. Are you wearing glasses or contact lenses as you answer these questions? Glasses. I just took my contact lenses off.

  3. Those thick-rimmed glasses were David's trademark. When he custom-ordered a luxury car, he had the image of those glasses painted on the door. Tell us something that makes your vehicle distinctive. Nothing specific on the outside, but I put a bright neon green air freshener in the shape of a doughnut right in the centre of my dashboard. So I always know which Golf is mine without looking at the license plate.

  4. David also had a penchant for mink. Rumour has it that he wore a mink-lined hat and even had that car upholstered in mink. If you could really splurge on anything right now, what would it be? Car? Travel? Clothes? Jewelry? (No responsible answers allowed.) A trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando.

  5. He sings that he badly wants to go outside. What are your plans for today? Will you be outdoors very much? Nah. I had work until late, and I'm hoping to get into bed by 1:00 because I have to wake up early to go to IMATS tomorrow.

  6. The Temptations originally called themselves The Elgins because in 1960, Elgin watches were the high-end timepiece of choice. Today, in the age of cellphones and FitBits, wristwatches aren't that popular anymore. Do you often wear a watch? No, I'm allergic to the metal on most of them, whether it's the band or the back of the watch head. And if there's sweat/moisture that builds up between my skin and the band, it causes a rash on my wrist. There's just no winning with wearing watches, so I don't bother anymore.

  7. This sad song was inspired by a real-life event. Motown songwriter Rodger Penzabene discovered his wife was cheating on him. Much to his own surprise, he didn't want to divorce or even separate from her; he just wanted her to love him and only him again. Tell us about a time when you didn't react as you thought you would. (Your story doesn't have to be as dramatic as Rodger's.) I pretty much react exactly as I think I will in all situations, to be honest.

  8. In 1968, when this song was popular, a Pittsburgh McDonald's sold the first Big Mac (two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickle and onion on a sesame seed bun). Describe your perfect hamburger. The Shack Stack from Shake Shack: A single beef patty with cheese, a crispy deep-fried portobello mushroom filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheeses, topped with lettuce, tomato, and ShackSauce on a potato bun.

  9. Random question: When you catch a cold, do you soldier through it? Or are you a big baby? Soldier through it. I live in Canada. It's winter for half the year. Colds are common. No point being a baby about it.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9