Paramount Fine Foods

on
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Jack, Ronsee, and I went downtown this evening to do a little shopping at the Eaton Centre (even though I did warn myself to avoid it... alas, I received a $20 off coupon from Sephora and decided that I had to take advantage of it), and decided to grab a bite to eat across the street at Paramount 'cause we were in the mood for some shawarma.

Fresh pita bread

It was busy but we managed to grab a table when we got in; I imagine it's much more packed on weekends because I've heard the wait times for a table can get pretty long. As soon as we ordered, we were given a basket of pita bread, baked fresh and still puffy, straight from the oven. It was soft and pillowy and piping hot with steam billowing out the moment we tore into it. However, this pita bread was clearly made for dipping (and dips like hummus or moutabel cost about $5) because it was terribly bland. I can't complain because the pita is complimentary, but I did learn that you can ask for a side of tahini, which is super garlicky and delicious, and is ideal for dipping the pita bread (and pretty much everything else) into. You will have severe dragon breath, but it's so worth it.

Beef shawarma sandwich (innards)

Beef shawarma sandwich (more innards)

I wasn't too hungry as I had eaten a few hours prior, so I opted for a beef shawarma sandwich instead of a full shawarma platter. Each sandwich (or pita, really) is packed with grilled beef shawarma, parsley, onion, turnips, pickles, tomatoes, and tahini sauce. Since I have a love affair with tahini, I added some more to mine, but my sandwich was quite divine on its own; everything was super-fresh and flavourful, and I thought the meat was perfectly soft and tender (though I have read in some of the reviews that some of the shawarma can be dry). I also liked that the parsley didn't overwhelm the other ingredients as it often does. I will say, however, that the portion is somewhere in between a large snack and a meal, so if you're looking to grab a full meal, I would definitely do a platter or two sandwiches if you have a large appetite.

The service, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired. There are no designated servers, and all of them seemed to be impatient, hurried, and curt. The lady taking our order cut me off with a, "Yeah, yeah, okay," when I asked for a glass of water with my food. And it just so happens that all of the rude servers are female. The only server that seemed genuinely nice was the guy that brought our food, though it is possible that he is a manager because he seemed to have more authority than the others. Moreover, the interior is very bright with minimal decor, and is generally no frills — this is a place to order, eat, and pay as fast as possible, not to linger around and enjoy the atmosphere. All in all, I would come here again, but only if I'm in the downtown core and craving Middle Eastern food. As good as the food is, I wouldn't go out of the way for it.


Paramount Fine Foods
253 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5B 1N8
(416) 366-3600
2 comments on "Paramount Fine Foods"
  1. I love having dragon breath. I also like to savour it for as long as possible after the meal, so I don't automatically inhale coffee & dessert right after. ;>

    This looks/sounds good but totally get the turn off from the service. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLLLLL!!!! It's funny, because the reason I love having dragon breath is because cigarettes are a lot more satisfying with it. Smoking after brushing my teeth or chewing gum makes me feel kinda filthy and it tastes kinda weird. But after eating a severely dragon breath-inducing meal? GLORIOUS.

      Yeah, the service sucks. But I reckon take-out would be worth it from here! :)

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9