Montréal: Chez Suzette

on
Monday, February 27, 2012

On Wednesday, we decided to spend our last day in Montréal exploring Old Montréal. My friend Leah (who works for MAC in Montréal) met up with us for lunch down there, 'cause I hadn't seen her since we went to make-up school together. We thought we'd catch up over French food since we were in Montréal and all, so we went to Chez Suzette for crêpes.

Crêpe aux crevettes

Crêpe aux crevettes (innards)

Crêpe la Montréalaise

I got the crêpe aux crevettes and Shawn got the crêpe la Montréalaise. The crêpe aux crevettes is stuffed with Matane shrimps and topped with creamy lobster sauce and cheese, then baked. It is super rich and decadent, but so worth every calorie and fat gram... I don't know why we can't find crêpes like this in Toronto, but yeah, this was ridiculous. Ronsee got this as well, and we were still talking about its deliciousness five hours later. Shawn's crêpe la Montréalaise is stuffed with ham, Swiss cheese, and topped with Béchamel sauce. A fail-safe option for those who are less adventurous, but delicious nonetheless. Both were super-satisfying, and filling without making us feel sickly or bloated. This is really a great place to go if you like crêpes — there's far more variety in crêpes, both savoury and sweet, than any place I've been to in Toronto. If you're ever in Old Montréal, definitely stop by Chez Suzette. It's kind of touristy, but it's a really quaint and cozy spot in a gorgeous area, and the food is super-tasty. And French.
15 comments on "Montréal: Chez Suzette"
  1. STOP THESE FOOD POSTS!!!! Or at least...just stop with the delicious photos, okay?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm SORRY. This will be the last food post from Montreal, though. :P

      Delete
  2. There's a place that serves only (I think) crêpes on Queen West (right in front of Much Music). I believe they have sweet and savoury types of crêpes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're called Cafe Crepe -- I used to go there all the time. The sweet crepes are good there, but the savoury ones are mediocre. What I don't like about their savoury crepes is that they use the same crepe batter as the dessert ones, which are SWEET. And they don't have nearly as much selection as the crepe places in Montreal... I think there is another crepe place called Choco Crepe that opened up on Queen Street. Never been there, but Sydney posted about it a while ago and it looks delightful!

      Delete
    2. Yes! That's the one. I have been there once and only ordered from their sweet menu. Why the hell would they use the same batter, though?! That's just dumb.

      Delete
    3. Totally. We should get crepes on one of our food dates sometime. :D

      Delete
  3. I to never liked savoury crepes but up until 2 years ago, I tried my first one stuffed with chorizo, onion, tomato, cream and mozzarella cheese and I was SOLD. I put lots of tabasco too and it was delish!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was exactly the same!!! I think the reason I was turned off by savoury crepes originally was because the place I went to used sweet batter in their savoury crepes -- not a big fan! But then my best friend, who was a manager at a restaurant, made me a savoury crepe filled with mushrooms, ham, bacon, and cheese with non-sweetened batter... and it was GLORIOUS. So that is how I came to love savoury crepes. But I still love dessert crepes, lol. I JUST LOVE CREPES.

      That crepe you described sounds AMAZING. God, now I'm craving hard. :(

      Delete
    2. For me, its just that I would always associate crepes with dessert and felt weird eating it with savory ingredients!! But hmmm Im craving the quixote (what the crepe i described is called) now!!! ugh. Thank god your montreal series is OVER!

      Delete
    3. LOL, sorry, Irene. I wonder if it's hard to re-make this at home... Of course, I'd actually have to cook... but it might be worth it, if done right...

      Delete
  4. Holy yummy cheese batman!
    Good choice- the crêpe aux crevettes with all that shrimp and bubbly cheese sauce...I would have totally ordered that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT? I saw the picture of the shrimp crepe on the menu and I was like, "I MUST HAVE THAT." So worth it! :) I would've had the Crepe Neptune, which has lobster in it... but it was too expensive, lol.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE savory crepes! Crêpe aux crevettes looks AMAZE!!!

    There's an independent coffee shop near my house that does decent crepes but not spectacular or anything. I think this is a hugely underrated food trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's start a new food trend, Liz. Crepes will be the new sushi.

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9