Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm: Mega Melon and Chunky Cherry

on
Friday, January 13, 2012

About a year ago, Clinique released these tinted lip balms called Chubby Sticks. Now, it must be said that I am not personally a fan of Clinique's products, both skincare and make-up, but these Chubby Sticks were so adorable, it was hard not to get suckered in. Last fall, my mom had asked me to buy her a tube of Black Honey, and so I took the opportunity to pick up a couple shades of Chubby Stick while I was at the counter. Of course, once I brought them home and put them on my desk, they were promptly forgotten about until I was trying to find a particular lipstick in my stash last week and came across these — still brand new and in their boxes!

Mega Melon and Chunky Cherry

Chubby Sticks are made with Shea Butter, Mango Seed Butter, and Jojoba Seed Oil to "deliver a surge of moisture" and to "keep lips luscious and irresistibly soft" while also providing "a sheer hint of colour that glides on effortlessly, leaving behind a natural blush of colour and sheen." It is also meant to provide "stay-true colour and buildable coverage." Each Chubby Stick comes in shade-matched (as in, the tube colour matches the balm colour) self-sharpening "crayon" barrels, contains 3 grams of product, and retails for $19.

Mega Melon and Chunky Cherry

Mega Melon is a medium peachy coral. It goes on super smooth and creamy, with low pigmentation and semi-sheer colour pay-off. It has the sheen of a lip balm, but is not glossy. It is darker and much more pigmented than YSL Volupté Sheer Candy Glossy Balm in Dewy Papaya.

Chunky Cherry is a medium pinked red. It goes on super smooth and creamy, with low pigmentation and semi-sheer colour pay-off. It has the sheen of a lip balm, but is not glossy. This is similar to Fresh Sugar Passion Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15, and is darker and more pigmented than YSL Volupté Sheer Candy Glossy Balm in Luscious Cherry.

Chubby Sticks do everything Clinique says they do: They are mega-moisturizing, keep lips smooth and soft, and provide a natural hint of colour (semi-sheer, but buildable). Of course, because they are not opaque, your natural lip colour will show through, but both shades here did stay true, so Mega Melon tinted my lips peach-coral, and Chunky Cherry tinted my lips red (like a popsicle stain). I also love that you can twist these up instead of having to sharpen them with a giant pencil sharpener. The only thing I don't like, and this is a deal breaker for me, is the taste. Okay, as you know, Clinique's products are 100% fragrance-free and allergy-tested, and the Chubby Sticks are no exception. Of course, because there is no fragrance, it just smells like wax. And it tastes that way, too. I wouldn't mind if it smelled kind of plasticky but had no taste, but the taste is also plasticky. So, as lovely as these Chubby Sticks are, I will not buy any more (and will use these more as a layering tool), which is just a shame, because they have a great formula and some really pretty shades.
14 comments on "Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm: Mega Melon and Chunky Cherry"
  1. I have Whole Lotta Honey and love it. I guess that's my go-to nude lipstick, though it's really not a lipstick.

    And now I'm wondering if I've become immune to the taste of plasticky makeup. Never noticed! And Chunky Cherry is so pretty and cheerful. I need that in the spring, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really too bad, because I love the formula and the look of these lip balms... But the taste is just... bleaarrrgh. Maybe I got a bad batch? I was thinking maybe they're old, but mine are only a few months old (and they were only released about a year ago, so it shouldn't deteriorate that fast...). I want to love these. :(

      Delete
  2. I love these things. It's got a gel like quality. It makes me think of those gel lipsticks/glosses, but without the extravagant price. I've got Mega Melon, and on me it's pretty opaque, especially for a gloss. I hadn't noticed a plasticky taste. I've got to rummage through my collection and test that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can get maybe semi-opaque if you really keep layering, but I would classify these as semi-sheer on average! And, yes, let me know if you detect a taste on these, because I'm wondering now if they're meant to have to smell/taste that way!

      Delete
    2. You know I just tested it out, a couple swipes and my natural lip pigment is pretty covered. It's not OPAQUE, but it doesn't seem sheer. Also upon application there is a slight wax scent, but after a few seconds it sort of disappears. There really isn't much of a taste. Also I've had mine since last summer I think, I don't remember there being a smell at all, but maybe I just didn't notice. I'm not sure that I would have noticed it unless I sniffed really hard. I would say that maybe you got a bad batch, if it's really offensive.

      Delete
    3. Maybe I did get a bad batch! It's very possible. It hasn't been near heat or light or anything, so I don't think it's the usual reason of environmental changes... Mine definitely has an obvious plastic/wax smell and taste, though. :( I kept thinking it would go away, but I wore it for a good 20 minutes, and the smell and taste wouldn't go away! SAD BUNNY. Mine are definitely more semi-sheer than anything (meaning they're not sheer, but they're not semi-opaque), like MAC's Lustre finish lipsticks. But it's not something I really mind, given that they're tinted lip balms. I don't think I'd want my lip balms to be opaque -- that's what lipstick is for! :)

      Delete
    4. I would definitely take it back then, I'm sad that you're a sad bunny.

      It's a nice natural kind of day demi lip look, that's a good comparison MAC's lustre finish. One of my favorites (Freckletone) is a lustre finish. It's a really good for those "no-make-up" days.

      Delete
    5. I always feel bad for returning things... But I'm thinking maybe I can exchange it for something else, so it won't be a complete loss of a sale for the counter. :P (I always think this way because I was a Lancome counter girl for two years, lol.)

      Freckletone is definitely a great everyday natural colour. :) One of my favourite Lustre lipsticks is Hug Me, which is also a very nice natural shade.

      Delete
    6. Well, I would try another set of the balm sticks. That was my original thought, because it's a nice product. And if it's just a bad batch you got then you'll know. But I know returning things can be not so great, I think of the MUA too. Unless she did a hard sell and I felt awful buying it, that's happened before. Also if I had a bad reaction to it, I'd look for something else.

      Oh Hug Me is a good one too. I also have Half And Half. All those tones are universally flattering.

      Delete
  3. Hi Denise, I surfed into your blog via Sydney... loving the info on new make-up and beauty products! We don't have blogs like yours here in Malaysia. Your food pics are awesome too, makes me hungry every time.

    The waxy, plasticky lipsticks are one reason why I never buy Clinique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm glad you're enjoying my blog! :D And, yes, I've totally learned my lesson about Clinique's products (I used their skincare AGES ago, and realized... yes, they're allergy-tested and fragrance-free, but they do absolutely NOTHING for my skin!). I'm still intrigued by their new line of Almost Lipsticks, but I think I will play around with them at the counter first before I even THINK about purchasing them...

      Delete
  4. I have Graped Up and I agree with you there's a mild play-doh like smell. But my nose is generally very sensitive (much to the bf's annoyance) so I thought it was just me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I didn't think my nose was that sensitive, but apparently it is! My friend totally swatched some of the Clinique lipsticks on her hand and was like, "They don't really smell like anything," and when I went to smell the swatches, I was like, "Gross, plastic!" That's just how non-scented lipsticks smell, I guess, 'cause the NARS ones smell/taste like that, too. But I can't stand it. It makes me nauseous. :(

      Delete
    2. Yeah there is a strange scent with the NARS one too but I don't really mind it as I don't actually lick my lips often. It's a habit I've been trying to break for years as I have perpetually dry lips and licking them doesn't seem to help :(

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9