Day & Night Angus Steak and Raw Bar

on
Saturday, October 8, 2011
In lieu of a Thanksgiving dinner, my mom and I went for dinner at the newly opened Day & Night Angus Steak and Raw Bar. We both decided to get the $45 five-course set menu, which included:

Slices of smoked duck breast on baby greens (my choice)

Slices of smoked salmon on baby greens (my mom's choice)

Okay, first off, the food was awesome. We got a "welcome drink," which was some sort of peach-orange juice blend (this changes day to day; I've read that they sometimes offer mocktails like virgin piña coladas), followed by a basket of warm bread buns, and then your choice of appetizer. I picked the duck breast, while my mom got the smoked salmon. Each appetizer comes on a long, horizontal plate with three mini servings, so my mom and I shared the two. This is followed by a choice of salad, of which I chose the organic greens and my mom picked the romaine lettuce (hers came with pieces of bacon and garlic croutons). They set a tray of six different mini jugs of dressing on the side so you can customize your salad; I opted to put the maple mustard on one half and the Italian ginger on the other half, and both were fantastic.

Lobster bisque

Medium rare 8 oz. Angus certified striploin

Double chocolate banana walnut cake

The salad was followed by a choice of soup; both my mom and I opted for the lobster bisque. They put a bowl in front of each of us, on which sat a mini scoop of mashed potato and a generous chunk of lobster meat, and then our waiter poured the soup in our bowls in front of us. It was seriously some of the best lobster bisque I've ever had; just so flavourful and rich. And then came our main courses, of which I chose the Angus certified striploin (they offer three different cuts of steak, as well as a choice of lamb and a choice of fish). Perfectly cooked to my liking (medium rare), juicy and fatty and tender, and sitting atop sliced roasted potatoes and vegetables. The meal was finished off with the dessert of the day, which was a rich, moist double chocolate and banana walnut cake, and your choice of tea or coffee. The coffee was some of the best I've ever had at a restaurant; strong, rich, and flavourful. Absolutely worth $45.

Moreover, the service was fabulous: our waiter was nice, polite, considerate, efficient, attentive but not cloying. And the decor is absolutely beautiful, modern but not minimalistic, in rich but neutral colours. The seats were comfy, the lighting was soft but not too dim. You can tell the interior decorator put a lot of attention to detail, from the tiling to the oyster bar lighting to the tablecloths and cutlery. And they close at 1:00am every single day of the week. So if you're craving steak or raw oysters at midnight in Markham? You can totally indulge! Seriously, there was nothing I didn't like about the restaurant or my experience there. I just can't believe it's completely Chinese owned and operated. I really, really hope this place does well; the location is great and in a really quaint plaza, but it doesn't seem like many people know about it or ever think to visit that area (it's mostly residential). I will definitely be going back there; I want to try their raw oysters next time!
2 comments on "Day & Night Angus Steak and Raw Bar"
  1. This place sounds amazing! Too bad it's so far away from me (almost near Mississauga). Maybe I'll drag my North York kin up there some time. I've gotten a bit lazy about trying new restaurants and keep going back to my faves. This sounds worth the drive, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, it's definitely gonna be quite a drive for you! But the food is SO DELICIOUS. It's probably a 20-30 minute drive if you take the 407. :)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9