50/50

on
Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Shawn and I went to see 50/50, which might be the best movie I'll have watched this year (which isn't saying much, 'cause I haven't watched that many new movies this year, but still). It is equal parts laugh-out-loud funny and heart-wrenchingly sad. (Seriously, I think I started tearing up about six different times, which would have been full-out sobbing if I wasn't: a) in public, and b) wearing make-up.) The story itself is fairly simple: a 27-year-old man gets diagnosed with cancer and has to deal with the consequences. But it's the relationships between him and the people around him, the love and hatred and friendship, and finding humour in such a bleak situation, that make this film so worth watching.

Every single actor is perfectly cast, from Anna Kendrick as the therapist to Seth Rogen as the best friend to Anjelica Huston as the mother. But no one is more perfect in his role than Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who keeps it realistic and human, and somehow finds balance on a very emotional tightrope. Seth Rogen's loudmouth obnoxiousness offsets Gordon-Levitt's subtlety to keep 50/50 from being too serious or sentimental. A lot of illness-centred movies tend to be very trite and sticky-sweet (A Walk to Remember, anyone?), but there's just enough cynicism and honesty to make 50/50 a smart and engaging film that balances drama and humour.

Rating: 5/5
7 comments on "50/50"
  1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is going to be one of my future ex-husbands. JUST YOU WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, he's going to be one of mine, too, along with Ryan Gosling, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to watch this film, but it's not available where I am yet. A film I *did* watch was Crazy Stupid Love. It was kind of nice :) You should watch it since you're a Ryan Gosling fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to watch Crazy Stupid Love, but for whatever reason, I was too busy/lazy to go to the movies for the longest time... I also need to watch Drive, and The Ides of March. It's Ryan Gosling fever! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..Drive was pretty darn fab. Must watch again! If you like Ryan now...you'll probably be out of this world in love after watching. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I think I've been in love with him since Breaker High! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. He definitely ages like fine wine...just the way I like em. ;)

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9