Sucker Punch

on
Monday, March 28, 2011

A bunch of us went to watch Sucker Punch tonight. Okay, let's get this out of the way first. Yes, the acting is bad. Yes, most of the plot doesn't follow and, at times, doesn't even make sense. It's full of convoluted ideas, and there's no depth to any of the characters. Hell, you don't even know what era this film is based in, 'cause it has a lot of '50s references (the cars, the outfits, the lobotomies, etc.), and then there's futuristic robots and force field bubbles. But you don't watch Sucker Punch for either the acting nor the plot. You watch it for the special effects, the action, and the hot girls. And all three were in abundance in this film. It's like the creators wondered, "What could we put in this movie that would appeal to all geeky teenage boys?" Add samurai swords, guns, dragons, aliens, and mini skirts, and you've got the answer.

All cons aside, I absolutely loved the style of this film. I loved the juxtaposition of the "reality" scenes and the "fantasy" scenes. Visually, I thought Sucker Punch was stunning. And the soundtrack was just awesome. I love the covers of The Pixies' "Where Is My Mind?", The Smiths' "Asleep," and Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams" by Emily Browning (who also plays the lead character), and the use of Björk's "Army of Me" (remixed with Skunk Anansie!) in the first fight scene was just perfect. And, hey, the make-up was really well-done. I know this movie got a lot of bad reviews but, at the end of the day, it's pure entertainment. There are a lot of films that have great acting and poignant storylines, but just can't hold my attention. But there wasn't a second of this movie that I thought was boring, and that's gotta count for something.

Rating: 3/5
2 comments on "Sucker Punch"
  1. "Army of Me" is the perfect background music for some serious ass-kicking!

    I always feel like I'm marching towards an epic battle scene in a movie whenever I listen to that song.

    And Watchmen was the worst action movie I had ever seen in life, so I wrote this one off long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, I love, love, love "Army of Me." I felt that the music actually played a really big role in this movie -- it just set the vibe of every scene perfectly.

    I really didn't like Watchmen, either. It was also really well done, visually, but I remember it being really confusing and kind of boring at times. But it was more the script writing that I didn't like, as opposed to the direction. I liked the storyline of this movie much more. I see Sucker Punch being more of a cult classic. It had this film noir vibe that I really liked. I'd actually watch it again, to be honest! Maybe worth watching on a Tuesday (half-price movies).

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9