Dining Out: Vegetable Thai Spring Rolls, Chicken Panang Curry, and Ho Mok Talay at Aroma Taste of Thai

on
Sunday, November 13, 2022
In the plaza of the T&T Supermarket that I frequent, there is a unit in the inner corner that has completely covered windows with images of random women and beaches and statues. So I obviously thought it was one of those happy ending massage parlours and wrote it off. But upon deciding on where to go for dinner this evening, my mom and I headed over to this plaza (we needed to go grocery shopping at T&T afterwards) so we could just pick from one of the restaurants there and found ourselves walking by this unit. And we realized that it's actually a Thai restaurant called Aroma Taste of Thai. So we thought we'd try something new.

Vegetable Thai Spring Rolls

Chicken Panang Curry

And we had what is maybe the best Thai food I've ever eaten. (Well, I did go to Thailand when I was 13, but I barely remember what I ate yesterday let alone 23 years ago, so I don't count that.) The Thai spring rolls are filled with a mixture of glass noodles and vegetables that are tossed in delicious spices that make them distinctly different from Chinese spring rolls and are surprisingly worth getting even though they sound so basic. Panang curry is my favourite Thai curry so I obviously had to order it here, and as expected, it is excellent — thick, creamy, flavourful, and full of peanut-y goodness. 

Ho Mok Talay

But the pièce de résistance of this meal was the Ho Mok Talay. It is a curry "custard" that is made with coconut milk and the meat of a young coconut with plump pieces of shrimp and mussels added in, and then baked in that same young coconut that the meat is from. I've never had anything like it and it is INSANELY DELICIOUS. I didn't even know I really liked coconut until I had this. They even serve you the extra water from the coconut as it's being baked so none of the coconut goes to waste. It's pretty pricey at $26.99, but my god, it is worth every penny. It's so good, in fact, that it has officially become my new favourite Thai dish.

Anyway, the moral of the story here is that just because a place looks like a shady massage parlour from the outside, it doesn't mean that it is. It could just be your new favourite Thai restaurant.


Aroma Taste of Thai
Cachet Centre
9255 Woodbine Ave., Unit 12
Markham, ON L6C 1Y9
(647) 930-6888
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9