Saturday Nine: Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (1971)

on
Saturday, May 30, 2020
This week's Saturday Nine:

You can listen to the song here.
  1. The lyrics tell us Paul believes it's going to rain. How's the weather where you are today? It was actually quite cool today, I think a high of maybe 18°C, partly cloudy. Actually a pretty perfect spring day. A reprieve from the gross heat we had for the whole week.

  2. Paul sings that he is sorry because he hasn't "done a bloody thing all day." What do you hope to accomplish this weekend? Well, I'm working tonight until midnight, but then tomorrow, I hope to take a long walk (honestly, I really need the movement and the fresh air, especially now that I'm working from home), play The Sims 4, and then get pizza for dinner.

  3. He also references butter pie, which is made primarily with potatoes (with onions and, of course, butter). That dish is not popular on this side of the Atlantic. Last time you had potatoes, how were they prepared (baked, mashed, hash browned, French fried...)? Well, I did have steamed sweet potatoes a few days ago at dinner, but if we're talking like, regular potatoes, I had French fries from McDonald's two weeks ago.

  4. Linda McCartney is credited as co-writer and performer on this recording. Paul and Linda were partners in real life, too; married 29 years, they raised four children together. They often said they tried never to spend more than a few hours apart. Do you enjoy a lot of togetherness, or do you value your personal time? Has your experience with COVID-19 and quarantine changed how you feel about this? I value my personal time. I mean, I do miss going out to eat with my friends, but... I still value my personal time.

  5. Paul and Linda came from very different backgrounds. His family was lower middle class, lived in Liverpool's public housing and received government aid. She grew up in affluent Scarsdale, the daughter of a wealthy theatrical attorney. Do you think it's more important for a couple to share a common background, or to share common interests? When it really comes down to it, I'd say common background.

  6. Paul is known for his work ethic. At age 78, he's still making music and performing live. What's your favourite Paul McCartney song? I don't have one. I listened to a ton of The Beatles growing up, but never his solo stuff.

  7. In 1971, when this song was a hit, Bobby Fischer was the world's most famous and highest-rated chess player. Do you play chess? Not in the last two decades. I know how to play chess, but I'm just not good at it.

  8. England's Princess Anne turned 21 in 1971. The occasion was commemorated by a formal portrait, taken by celebrated fashion photographer Norman Parkinson. Who took the most recent photo of you? I think my dad took a photo of me on Chinese New Year.

  9. Random question: Do you find it more satisfying to work with your hands, or your head? Hands. 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9