Saturday Nine: Everybody's Somebody's Fool (1960)

on
Saturday, March 28, 2020
This week's Saturday Nine:

You can listen to the orchestra here.
  1. Next Wednesday is April Fool's Day. Do you have any pranks planned? Do you expect to fall victim to any April Fool's Day mischief? No and no. Firstly, I never take part in pranks, nor do I know anyone that does. Secondly, we're in a pandemic.

  2. When she was a kid, Crazy Sam would fool her mom by putting bubble wrap under the bath map so there would be a POP! when her mother stepped on it. When you encounter bubble wrap, do you always indulge in a pop or two? Weirdly enough, I don't, even though I do love a good bubble wrap popping session. It's just that when I encounter bubble wrap these days, it's because I've received a package (usually of BTS merch) and I'm too focused on getting to the goods to stop and pop bubble wrap.

  3. While we're using this song to celebrate April Fool's Day, it was written about another subject entirely: heartbreak. The lyrics tell us that at some point, we each get our hearts broken by someone who doesn't love us as much as we love them. Do you think that's true? Yes.

  4. In 1962, this week's featured Connie Francis published a book aimed at teens called For Every Young Heart. It addressed topics like going steady and schoolwork vs. social life. Do you ever read advice columns or self-help books? No. The only advice I read is online, and only when I'm actively seeking it. Like, "What's the best way to pop a whitehead on your nose?" Or like, "When should I get tested for COVID-19?"

  5. Connie Francis can play the accordion. Sam has never met anyone adept at this complicated instrument — not even in her high school band. What about you? Do you play the accordion, or do you know anyone who can? No.

  6. In 1960, when this record was popular, Harper Lee's classic To Kill a Mockingbird was published. Have you read it? Yes, for Grade 6 English class.

  7. Also in 1960, one of Life magazine's best-selling issues had Sophia Loren on the cover. At that time, she was an international film star and considered one of the world's most beautiful women. Who do you consider one of 2020's most beautiful women? Charlize Theron. She's been my pick for 20 years, and still reigns supreme in my books.

  8. A 1960 issue of Vogue acknowledged how expensive it had become to maintain a fashionable wardrobe and asked, "If you were to buy only one thing, what would it be?" If it's good enough for Vogue, it's good enough for Saturday 9: If you could purchase only one new article of clothing for spring 2020, what would you buy? A black leather jacket.

  9. Random question: When someone makes you really angry, are you more likely to respond with stony silence or a big noise? I only yell when I'm really annoyed. When I'm truly angry, I am quiet as fuck and that is when you should be really, really scared of me.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9