Photolog 2019: Day 256 of 365

on
Friday, September 13, 2019

I'm not a huge fan of traditional lotus paste mooncakes, but when I saw these ones by Bake Code, I decided to pick up a couple to try. I originally wanted the black sesame flavour, but they were sold out, so I ended up getting taro and matcha. Quite frankly, I got them mostly because they were pretty, but they're actually really, really good; there's an excellent amount of flavour in each one, the egg yolk isn't too salty or overpowering like in regular mooncakes, and the texture is soft but with a good chew. They might have just changed my mind about mooncakes.

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival (or Chuseok for Koreans, and Tsukimi for the Japanese)! 🥮🍃🌕🍂
2 comments on "Photolog 2019: Day 256 of 365"
  1. For dessert for the Green Bay Packer's home opener tailgate party, I went to Lucky Bakery And BBQ. Bought one of each filling: red bean, green bean, lotus seed, wintermelon, pineapple, green tea and date. Cut each mooncake into small pieces so everyone could try more than one flavor and texture.

    I learned a long time ago to call red bean and green bean fillings as azuki as mung to avoid fussy eating.

    Sort of like with takoyaki. "Tako? It means a kind of fish." Kind of obfuscate the truth. Besides, I have never heard of an octopus allergy.

    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, pineapple mooncake sounds good! But yes, I agree, when non-Asians hear "bean" in association with dessert, they are definitely less likely to try it, lol. Smart to call them azuki and mung. ;)

      I love takoyaki, but I totally get it -- when I describe them as "octopus balls," non-Asians are less likely to try them, lol.

      Come to think of it, I have also never heard of an octopus allergy. Huh. Glass shattered.

      And thank you, you too! (Or Happy Tsukimi!)

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9