Saturday Nine: Baby Love (1964)

on
Saturday, February 17, 2018
This week's Saturday Nine:


  1. When this song was popular, the Supremes were known for their elaborate hairstyles, makeup, and full-length gowns. When was the last time you got dressed up? Last September, for my brother's wedding. I wasn't super dressed up, per se, but I did do my hair and got a nice tuxedo-style jacket and wore booties with a higher heel.

  2. "The girls," as they were known to the engineers and executives at Motown Records, were Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson, and Diana Ross. They began singing together when they were high school classmates. Are you still in touch with any friends from your high school days? I'll still randomly have contact with my friend Katherine (we've actually been friends since Grade 7), but otherwise, no. I mean, I'm Facebook friends with a lot of them, but I don't actually keep in touch with them.

  3. Mary Wilson was born in Mississippi and her family moved a great deal before settling in Detroit, where she fatefully met Florence and Diana. Were you uprooted often when you were a child? Or did you spend your school years in the same neighbourhood? I lived in the same house in the same neighbourhood for 20 years.

  4. The Supremes began as a quartet called the Primettes. In addition to Mary, Flo and Diana, there was Betty McGlown. In 1960, Betty left the group to get married and was replaced by Barbara Martin. In 1962, Barbara left the group to have a baby. They quit trying to replace the fourth voice, soldiered on as a trio, and made pop history. Have you ever found yourself in a position similar to Betty's or Barbara's, where you had to make a difficult decision and choose between your personal life and your career? Thankfully, no.

  5. Thinking of babies and "baby love," is anyone in your life expecting a baby in 2018? My friend Sam and one of my artists at work.

  6. With twelve #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, The Supremes remain America's most commercially successfully recording group, and this song (along with "Stop! In the Name of Love") is one of the most popular karaoke songs. If we handed you the mic this morning and absolutely insisted you perform, what song would you choose (any song, any genre)? Any song from No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom. Maybe "Spiderwebs" or "Just A Girl" for a more energetic vibe, and "Don't Speak" for a mellow vibe.

  7. Original group member Florence Ballard left the group in 1967. She died of cardiac arrest in 1976 at the age of 32. Since February is National Heart Month, it seems appropriate to ask: Is anyone in your life battling heart disease? Not that I know of, but knock on wood!

  8. Florence Ballard's brother, Hank, wrote Chubby Checker's famous dance song, "The Twist." When did you last dance? Like, yesterday, in the privacy of my room. But in public? It's been a long, long time. I didn't even dance at my brother's wedding. Hell, I didn't even dance at my prom. It's likely that I haven't danced in front of anyone (at least in any serious capacity) since I took hip-hop and jazz dance classes when I was 10.

  9. Random question: Close your eyes and visualize the most beautiful place you've ever been. Now describe it to us. Paris, France. Architecture styles from Gothic to Art Deco, cut stone and ornamental sculptures, cobblestone streets. What can I say, I'm a city girl.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9