Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick in Poppy, Tulip, and Plummy Rose

on
Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Last month, Tarte released a brand new range of their Amazonian Butter Lipstick that is exclusive to Sephora. I was looking up Tarte's Maracuja Oil during their VIB sale last month and the colourful packaging of these lipsticks caught my eye. The more I read about them, the more I wanted to try them out, so I picked up three shades. Sephora describes the Amazonian Butter Lipstick as "a moisturizing, creamy lipstick" that "adds a splash of rich colour and creamy shine for a perfect pout." The lipsticks are "enriched with sustainably harvested cupuacu and murumuru butters to deliver intense moisture and help restore and soothe even mature lips." They are housed in yellow gold metal tubes encased in floral-printed cardboard packaging, and each shade of lipstick has a different floral pattern. They have a light mint scent and flavour. Each lipstick contains a total of 3.1 grams of product, and retails for $19. 

Poppy, Tulip, and Plummy Rose

Poppy, Tulip, and Plummy Rose

Poppy is a medium vibrant warm poppy red with a glossy finish. This is a permanent shade. The texture is lightweight and creamy, and it goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and semi-opaque to opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is similar to MAC Lady Bug, more muted and warmer than MAC Everyday Diva Mineralize Rich Lipstick, brighter and more reddened than NARS Manhunt, warmer than Revlon Cherry Tart Lip Butter, brighter and more red than Chanel Rebelle Rouge Coco Shine, and more red than YSL Corail Incandescent Rouge Volupté Shine.
Tulip is a medium warm rose pink with a glossy finish. This is a permanent shade. The texture is lightweight and creamy, and it goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and semi-opaque to opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is slightly darker and more muted than MAC Grande Dame Mineralize Rich Lipstick, brighter and more pink than MAC Impressive Sheen Supreme Lipstick, warmer than Revlon Berry Smoothie Lip Butter, more pink than Chanel Monte Carlo Rouge Coco Shine.
Plummy Rose is a medium dusty rose pink with a glossy finish. This is a permanent shade. The texture is lightweight and creamy, and it goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and semi-opaque to opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is cooler and less brown than MAC Cosmo, darker and glossier than MAC Brave, lighter and more pink than MAC Impressive Sheen Supreme Lipstick, similar though more pigmented than NARS Dolce Vita, cooler and more pink than Revlon Pink Truffle Lip Butter, warmer than Chanel Fetiche Rouge Coco Shine, and brighter and more pigmented than Chanel Boy Rouge Coco Shine.

A really lovely formula; it's super-hydrating, applies smoothly, feels weightless, and has great colour pay-off. If I were to compare it another formula, I'd say it's most similar to MAC's Mineralize Rich Lipstick or YSL's Rouge Volupté Shine. It's definitely creamier and more hydrating than Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine, and far more lightweight than MAC's Sheen Supreme Lipstick. And despite having only eight shades at the moment, I think it's a nicely curated range with something for everyone. I was only able to get my hands on these three shades because all the other ones were sold out during the VIB sale (which is fine because I think these three are suitable to wear all year round), but I probably will get some of the other shades in the near future. It's essentially a lipstick/lip balm hybrid formula, which isn't new in this day and age, but they do feel lovely nonetheless and I can see Plummy Rose being many people's go-to as a MLBB shade. The packaging will be a hit or miss with most people — while the bright floral designs are cute and whimsical, the cardboard packaging does lack that weighty feel of a luxury lipstick. At $19 a pop, though, these are a great high-end (and cruelty-free, vegan-friendly) option for less, especially for those seeking something more moisturizing and made with more natural ingredients.
8 comments on "Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick in Poppy, Tulip, and Plummy Rose"
  1. One review of this showed barely any colour so I'm mega surprised now! Maybe it was the shade she picked. These are so pretty inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's weird. I remember the first thing I thought of when I initially tried these was, "Oooh, good pigmentation!" I guess I thought they'd be more like tinted lip balms? But no, these are full-blown lipsticks. More pigmentation than many of MAC's Lustres and Cremesheens. :) The biggest complaint I read about on Sephora's website about these is that they're small, but I think these people are just STUPID because they're actually 3.1 grams, which is bigger than the average lipstick (for reference, MAC's are 3 grams). I also read some reviews that said they were drying, but I didn't think so at ALL -- my lips were still smooth and hydrated at hour three. Worth trying out, Liz! And not too expensive, either!

      Delete
  2. The packaging is gorgeous! I wonder why too why left or as cardboard on the outside. It would be perfect of it wasa more glossy, plastic finish. That poppy color is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree -- I would've loved them THAT much more if it was a glossy plastic tube rather than cardboard. Still, I love the design of 'em!

      The poppy shade is also my favourite. It's bright without being too in-your-face, and it's so flattering because it's equal parts red, pink, and orange. :)

      Delete
  3. poppy is calling my name. i have a huge love for orange based reds. i totally prefer those over blue based.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both orange- and blue-based reds. :) My favourite red of all time is MAC's Viva Glam I, and it's actually a blue-toned brown red, lol. Best of both worlds!

      You should get Poppy, so lovely for all year round!

      Delete
  4. Yea, can't say I'm a fan of this packaging, at all! Same goes for the other Amazonian lipsticks, ugh! I like me some classic lines in either black or gunmetal packaging. The SNOBBERY of it all LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I actually love the fun prints on the packaging here, but I hate the cardboard aspect. Would be so much better in plastic tubes!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9