My Place Fish & Chips

on
Saturday, November 24, 2012
Steph and I decided to grab some dinner before heading downtown for the Metric show at the Air Canada Centre this evening, and she suggested going to My Place Fish & Chips. For some reason, I rarely have fish and chips at a proper fish and chips restaurant, so I was pretty excited to try this place.

Halibut & Chips

Halibut innards

My Place Fish & Chips is a small, diner-style, family-run restaurant. It has a really unassuming exterior in a rather rundown plaza, and I would never have thought to stop by this place, let alone eat in it (especially with Johnny's right next door!). The decor leaves something to be desired as well, with tacky cloth posters hanging all over the walls, orange pleather bench seats, and almost jarring fluorescent lighting. But if the completely packed tables are any indication, the food is fantastic and people (especially Irish pensioners) can't seem to get enough of it. The menu itself is rather limited being a fish and chips restaurant, so ordering is simple and easy; both Steph and I got the halibut and chips.

The fish is battered and deep-fried until airy, crispy, and golden. The batter is light, almost panko-like, which explains why it remains crispy and doesn't seem as greasy as many other deep-fried foods (you can also tell they use clean oil because there isn't that nasty aftertaste). The fish itself is soft, tender, flaky, and meaty but not tough or chewy. The fries are thick-cut and perfectly golden with soft, starchy innards; substantial enough for you to load on as much vinegar or ketchup as you so please. My only complaint is the tartar sauce. A restaurant that specializes in fish and chips should really make a good, creamy, flavourful, homemade tartar sauce to serve with their dishes, not the crappy packet stuff. Other than that, it's a great place to go when the craving hits.


My Place Fish & Chips
2577 Victoria Park Avenue
Scarborough, ON M1T 1A4
(416) 495-0195
4 comments on "My Place Fish & Chips"
  1. I love fish & chips but don't eat it as often as I'd like to. Sometimes I get it at a random pub during lunch. This one sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, right? For some reason, I never think of eating fish and chips, but THEY'RE SO GOOD when they're made properly. I only ever eat it at pubs as well, and even then, it's not very often. I think I need to do some "research"...

      Delete
  2. Ohhh this looks good! I can never get enough of fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so deeeeeliciousssss!!! I wonder how different the fish and chips are in the UK...

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9