NYC — Spring 2012: Magnolia Bakery

on
Friday, May 4, 2012

So, I broke down and went to Magnolia Bakery. I haven't been there for at least five years now, and it's as much of a tourist trap now as it was then (we have Sex and the City to thank for that). That doesn't mean the goods at Magnolia Bakery are any worse, it just means there's always a line-up going out the store. But you can't go to New York without having at least one cupcake, and we were passing by there, anyway, so I joined the line with all the other cupcake fiends. I really wanted to try the banana pudding as well, but realistically, we knew we were going to eat dinner a few hours from then, so we just left with a couple of iced coffees and two cupcakes to share:

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting topped with walnuts

Carrot cupcake (innards)

After all that has been said and the slack it has received (it is probably the biggest sell-out in the New York cupcake scene), Magnolia Bakery still churns out some damn good cupcakes. The carrot cupcake was super-moist with hints of cinnamon and walnuts in the cake itself, and the cream cheese frosting was smooth and not too sweet, topped with a flurry of crushed walnuts. Everyone always goes for the vanilla or chocolate or red velvet at Magnolia, but if there is a carrot cupcake on the menu, I always have to get it, and this one doesn't disappoint.

"PB&J": Peanut butter cake with jelly filling and peanut butter buttercream topped with peanuts

"PB&J" cupcake (innards)

The "PB&J" has got to be a new favourite of mine in the cupcake world, and it is available only on Saturdays at Magnolia Bakery. The cake, too, was moist and surprisingly light, packed full of peanut butter flavour, and filled with just enough grape jelly to get it in each mouthful but without spilling over into a sticky mess. And peanut butter buttercream? Does it get any better than that? The "PB&J" cupcake is almost like... the hipster version of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich; a childhood favourite trying to be cool. Equal parts nostalgic and addictive, all peanut butter lovers need to try this.


Magnolia Bakery
401 Bleecker Street
New York, NY 10014
(212) 462-2572
6 comments on "NYC — Spring 2012: Magnolia Bakery"
  1. Yes to the peanut butter but no carrots! That dab of jelly in the middle does look like perfection. I had a longing for PB&J today, actually, so that's what I got at the grocery store. Haven't had that in years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why you no like carrots? Mmm, I love carrot cake!!! Well, I love the ones without fruit in it, like raisins or pineapple (ewww).

      But, yeah, the PB&J was ridiculous. Finished that baby in about 2.5 seconds... :) I haven't had the sandwich version in years, too. I need to change that...

      Delete
    2. I just can't stand carrot cakes and I don't like fresh carrots unless they're tiny baby carrots. I like bits of it cooked in meals though. :s

      Delete
    3. But... but... carrot cake is so good!!! :( You can't even taste the carrots!!! :P

      Delete
  2. I remember the first I'd ever heard of Magnolia Bakery was from your blog! Years and years ago. I made a point of going to their flagship store on my very first trip to NYC. Their cupcakes are too dense for my taste, but I just love their presentation and that perfect, signature swirl of icing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think it depends on which cupcake, 'cause some of them are really dense, and some of them are much lighter and fluffier. Trial and error, my friend, and I certainly don't mind trying more. ;)

      And yeah, they totally have that swirl down pat!!! There were like, three people just standing there, perfectly swirling frosting onto each cupcake... It was mesmerizing...

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9