Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters

on
Sunday, January 22, 2012

By now, everyone and their mothers have at least one tube of Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter. These were released last October in the States, and became available at select stores in Canada sometime in December. Starting this month, they have been made widely available at all Revlon retailers. Nearly every "YouTube beauty guru" and beauty blogger has raved about these. Basically, they're the new lippie darlings in the beauty world. I don't often buy drugstore make-up, but these piqued my interest. I mean, why are these so popular? I had to know.


In case you've been living under a rock, Revlon's ColorBurst Lip Butter is a hybrid of lipstick and lip balm, with mango, shea, and coconut butters being the main hydration ingredients. They are meant to provide "super-charged hydration" and "sheer to medium colour with buttery shine." I don't detect any distinct smell or taste, so these are great for those who are sensitive to scents. They come in 20 shades, so I picked up seven shades to try. They are housed in translucent shade-matched tubes with a quilted pattern etched into the sides. They have transparent tops so you can see what the actual shade looks like in the tube — this really comes in handy, since drugstores often don't have testers of every shade. Each Lip Butter contains 2.55 grams of product, and retails for around $9 to $10 (some places like Wal-Mart or Rexall have them for less, and some stores like Shoppers Drug Mart have them for more).

Berry Smoothie, Lollipop, Peach Parfait, Raspberry Pie, Strawberry Shortcake, Sweet Tart, Tutti Frutti

Berry Smoothie is a medium rosy pink with pink micro-shimmer. It has low-medium pigmentation, and semi-sheer to semi-opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is darker than MAC Sweetie, and lighter and less purple than MAC Plumful.

Lollipop is a medium fuchsia pink. It has medium pigmentation, and semi-sheer to semi-opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is slightly cooler than MAC Speak Louder.

Peach Parfait is a light peachy pink with pink micro-shimmer. It has low pigmentation, and sheer to semi-sheer buildable colour pay-off. It is darker and more pink than MAC Shy Girl, and more peach than MAC Politely Pink.

Raspberry Pie is a medium-dark raspberry red. It has high pigmentation, and semi-opaque to opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is less purple than MAC Quite The Thing! Sheen Supreme Lipstick, and cooler than MAC Perpetual Flame Pro Longwear Lipcreme.

Strawberry Shortcake is a light cool-toned pink. It has medium pigmentation, and semi-sheer to semi-opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is slightly warmer than Viva Glam Gaga.

Sweet Tart is a medium bright reddened pink. It has medium pigmentation, and semi-sheer to semi-opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is more pink than MAC Full Speed Sheen Supreme Lipstick.

Tutti Frutti is a medium bright coral-orange. It has medium pigmentation, and semi-sheer to semi-opaque buildable colour pay-off. It is darker and more orange than MAC Blossom Culture Sheen Supreme Lipstick.

Yep. Revlon's ColorBurst Lip Butter totally lives up to the hype. These are ridiculously moisturizing — way more than waxy lip balms (e.g. EOS, Burt's Bees) — without being sticky or greasy or thick. And unlike many "moisturizing" lipsticks (e.g. Chanel Rouge Coco Shine), these actually keep lips hydrated throughout its entire duration on lips. Seriously, they wear so comfortably, and my lips still look plump and moist after a few hours of wear. And unlike many tinted lip balms, these are actually quite pigmented — I love that you can do one swipe for a more sheer tint of colour, and layer it for a brighter pop of colour (without staining!). It comes in a large range of gorgeous colours, so there's something flattering for every skintone and undertone. Plus, the packaging is really cute. And the best part is, it's totally budget-friendly! Come to think of it, I don't think there's anything I don't like about these. Go buy one or two. Or ten. You won't regret it.
8 comments on "Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butters"
  1. Wasn't into the hype but I did check them out last week. They were 6.99 each at Rexall. I'm surprised you got only seven of them, Denise! ;) (J/K)

    I'd definitely pick up a few in the future. I think my favourite shade was Candy Apple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to check out Rexall. Everything's cheaper there 'cause there are so few of their stores (as compared to Shoppers)!

      I can't believe I only got seven, too, lol. I actually stopped by two different stores to get these, because there were so many shades sold out!

      I think I might need to get Candy Apple, too... Maybe I'll just pick up the whole lot...

      Delete
  2. I freakin' LOVVVEEEE these! I see that L'Oreal came out with the Balm and in comparison? I can't say it any better than "they suck!". I mean, they're moisturizing but it's more like colored lip smacker or something. There's nothing out there in the drugstore range that compares to these babies. Love how moisturizing AND pigmented they are...best of both worlds!

    And I personally think they hold their own against the premium brand versions....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lindsay! I haven't tried the L'Oreal ones, but just from packaging alone, Revlon wins hands down! I totally saw them right next to the L'Oreal display, and I was like, "Should I...?" And was ultimately like, "No, Revlon's prettier." LOL, do you like my supremely scientific way of choosing which lip product to buy?

      And I totally agree -- these are comparable to Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine or Dior's Addict Lipsticks. They are totally similar in terms of colour pay-off, but Revlon's is WAY MORE MOISTURIZING. A definite win in my books!

      Delete
  3. Oh I should have gotten the peach parfait. I got creme brulee, which is cute, but none existent. It reminds me a bit of Korres Lip Butter in Guava. I like the Korres one a lot, but it's so expensive for what it is. You go through it so quickly. Revlon isn't quite as moisturizing I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, these aren't limited edition, so you can take your time deciding if you should get Peach Parfait! :)

      I actually like these more than the Korres Lip Butters (I have about five of them, lol). Firstly, they're in a tube so they're not as messy, and secondly, I actually find these more moisturizing! AND, these are about half the price. :D

      Delete
  4. All I do is rave about these lip butters. When I first got them, I was kinda meh about it, thinking that people were over-hyping them but Im like ok, im gonna give them a try and ive been using them almost everysingleday since I got them!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the Peach Parfait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they're strangely addictive to use. I have SO MANY LIPSTICKS (almost 200 now!) and yet... I just wanna reach for these... :P I also love Peach Parfait -- looks good with EVERYTHING! But I truly do like all the shades I got. There's not one that I won't use and love! :)

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9