South St. Burger Co.

on
Monday, January 24, 2011

Shawn and I decided to go to South St. Burger Co. for a late lunch after his class today. I ordered the classic Hamburger with bacon and cheddar cheese, plus lettuce, tomato, pickles, spicy ketchup, and garlic mayo. It was really, really good, but I think I ultimately prefer Hero burgers. Price-wise, they're about the same... But I found that the burgers at Hero are juicier and more tender (like, melt-in-your-mouth patties), and I also like that you can pick the size of the beef patty at Hero (4 oz., 6 oz., or 8 oz.). Hero also has more burger options in general (beef, steak, grilled chicken, cajun chicken, salmon, veggie), as well as more cheese, topping, and condiment options. But I do like that South St. has real bacon (not just peameal bacon like Hero). Oh, and also that New York Fries owns South St. Burger, so they have the same fries (and poutine) as NYF. I'd definitely eat at South St. again 'cause they do make one fantastic burger... But if Hero and South St. were next to each other, I'd probably end up at Hero.
2 comments on "South St. Burger Co."
  1. I totally forgot that Hero only has peameal "bacon" (I also don't consider anything else other than those glorious strips of fat as the real thing, haha). Anyway, I do like that S.S. has guacamole -- does Hero also have it? Don't even remember..

    My bf and I always end up at South St. Burger because there's one located really close to his house. We'd have to drive all the way to Richmondhill/Markham for Hero which isn't really that far, but it may as well be in Iowa when you're starving.


    P.S. Do you watch Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives? Five Guys burgers (I don't know which season it was featured in) just opened in Mississauga.

    And I'm glad to have played a part in your foodie adventures. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know, there is no such thing as a "bacon substitute." When you've got the craving, nothing else will do! And, yep, Hero does have guacamole, but they charge $0.59 for it, whereas it's free at SS, so I guess that's one point in the "pro" column for them!

    There's a Hero location at York Mills and Bayview now (they opened a couple months ago). I don't know where you live, but it may be closer than the Richmond Hill location. I don't think I live near SS or Hero, unfortunately. :( We were coming from York University, so we went to the SS at Dufferin and Steeles. I think there's also one at Woodbine just north of Steeles... That's probably the closest one to me. And, true, if you're hungry, it's all about location, location, location. :P

    I don't watch Food Network anymore, sadly! I live in the opposite end of Mississauga, though, so it'd be a super mission to get there, lol! Let me know how it goes if you end up eating there!

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9