Friday Five: Repeat

on
Friday, August 3, 2018
This week's Friday Five:
  1. What's something you are repeatedly asked to prove? The only thing I can really think of is my age, mostly when I'm buying cigarettes at stores or gas stations that I don't normally frequent. I'm turning 32 this year, but most people think I'm in my early 20s. Younger if I'm wearing sneakers and a hoodie and don't have makeup on.

  2. What's an album you can listen to on endless repeat? BTS' You Never Walk Alone. It's the repackaged version of Wings, so it also includes "Spring Day," "Not Today," "Outro: Wings," and "A Supplementary Story: You Never Walk Alone," all of which I love, so I didn't feel like it was fair to just say Wings. I'd have to say BTS' Love Yourself: Tear as well. It took some time to grow on me, actually, because the album as a whole was so different to anything BTS had done before, and was actually quite different to anything I had ever listened to, conceptually. But I love that they really experimented with different genres and sub-genres of music, and mixing and producing techniques. It's a really sonically interesting album, which makes it very easy for me to listen to without getting sick of it.

    Despite my BTS mania, however, there's actually a lot of albums that I can listen to on endless repeat, some that I will go back to after like, a decade, and get re-obsessed with, so I couldn't not give them a mention. These include Deftones' White Pony, Thursday's Full Collapse, Foo Fighters' The Color and the Shape, Alexisonfire's Crisis, Die Mannequin's Fino + Bleed, Silversun Pickups' Better Nature, Sparta's Wiretap Scars, Taking Back Sunday's Where You Want to Be, Finger Eleven's Tip, Incubus' Make Yourself, Metric's Fantasies, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom, Paramore's Riot!, Ellie Goulding's Halcyon, Lorde's Pure Heroine, The Cardigan's Gran Turismo, Troye Sivan's Blue Neighbourhood, Zella Day's Kicker, Lana Del Rey's Born to Die, and Lindsey Stirling's self-titled.

  3. What's a story you've told several times? The story of how I got into makeup and made it into my career.

  4. What's something you always order at a certain restaurant? I usually like to try something new when I go out to eat, but I do have my staples when I can't think of anywhere else to go. I always go to Ding Tai Fung for xiao long bao, Congee Queen for fried chili turnip patties, Moxie's for their chicken tenders, Good Catch Boil House for lobster rolls, The Keg for their prime rib, and more recently, Deer Garden for the Malay laksa noodle soup. I'm sure there's more, but these are the ones that come to mind that most.

  5. In what way do you hope this weekend will be exactly like last? In no way. Last weekend was a complete shit show.
2 comments on "Friday Five: Repeat"
  1. I think we can all say this about a dim sum place. Dim sum is great that way. You can try new stuff all the time and still have the favorites, too. How does Toronto have a Ding Tai Fung and Honolulu not? I'm not complaining; I just think Honolulu seems a more reasonable place to expand first.

    You should get to a Tim Ho Wan if you can. Most of the stuff is just fine, but the char siu bao is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, actually there are far more Chinese immigrants in Toronto/Greater Toronto Area. Of the 5.9 million people living in the Greater Toronto Area, about 30% are Chinese (not just Asian, but straight-up Chinese). So, realistically, opening up a Chinese restaurant chain here has a much higher rate of success. :P

      I may just check out Tim Ho Wan when I'm in NYC next month! Thanks for the rec! ;)

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9