Photolog 2019: Day 351 of 365

on
Tuesday, December 17, 2019
New Aburi Sushi

16-Piece Sushi + Sashimi Platter

Green tea and mango ice cream tempura


After doing some research on the best sushi restaurants in Richmond Hill, my friend Sam and I decided on Tomo Sushi for dinner. (We chose Richmond Hill because it's right in between where we live.) I ordered the New Aburi Sushi (Kansay-style sushi with torched fish and drizzled with garlic sauce) and the 16-piece sashimi + sushi platter. The New Aburi Sushi was delicious, lightly smoked with just enough garlic flavour; no soy sauce needed. Never had anything like it, and I'm so glad I tried it. Even people who don't like to eat raw fish can still try it and (most likely) enjoy it. The nigiri sushi I had tonight was of the best I've had in a while, and for a fairly reasonable price, too. I normally don't like butterfish (it's both the flavour and texture), and I had originally asked the server if they could replace it with salmon or tuna, but he looked surprised and said that they serve the butterfish lightly seared and brushed with garlic oil and a bit of jalapeño and that it's actually a lot of the patrons' favourite fish here, so I said, "Alright, you've talked me into it." And I'm so glad he did, because it was excellent. I've been to dozens of sushi places around the city and no one presents butterfish the way they do at Tomo. I reckon it'd be far more popular if sushi restaurants did it this way all the time. Honestly, all the fish was really fresh and flavourful here; a good variety with excellent cuts and beautifully presented.

Also, serious bonus points for not only having ice cream tempura on the dessert menu (most sushi restaurants don't offer this anymore, and I hadn't had it in years), but doing it so freaking well. I had the green tea and Sam had the mango, and wow, the ice cream somehow kept an excellent cold, solid, creamy consistency while the batter was somehow light and crispy, and I was like, "WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?" It's like a Japanese take on tartufo, but like, deep-fried. So, yeah. Totally recommend Tomo Sushi. It's totally out of the way for me, but man, it's totally worth it.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9