Saturday Nine: Fool on the Hill

on
Saturday, April 2, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)


  1. Friday was April Fool's Day. Did you pull any pranks? Did anyone put anything over on you? Not personally. But, you know, there was the entire fucking Internet.

  2. The practice of playing tricks on one another on April 1 dates back at least to the 14th century and Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales includes a mention of it. Geoffrey Chaucer has been called England's greatest poet. Quote a bit of poetry for us. (It doesn't have to be English, or great.) I can only quote one poem and only because my Grade 8 English teacher made me memorize it during the one detention I ever got, and it is Shakespeare's Sonnet 116:

    "Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
    That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
    It is the star to every wandering bark,
    Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
    Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
    Within his bending sickle's compass come;
    Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks
    But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
    If this be error and upon me proved,
    I never writ, nor no man ever loved."

  3. Beatle Paul is a huge Elvis fan and is happy to own the bass that was played on Elvis' 1954 recording of "That's All Right, Mama." Tell us about one of your prized possessions. All of my school diplomas. They represent thousands of dollars and years of schooling that I had to endure.

  4. In contrast to his easygoing persona, Sir Paul has been described by former band mate Ringo Starr as strong willed and "determined to get his own way." Do you consider yourself strong willed and determined? Or are you more easy going? I would say I am more strong willed and determined in my work life, and I'm more easy going in my social life.

  5. The Beatles once bought a Greek island, planning to live and record there, but sold it after a few months because it started to seem like a bad, expensive idea. Tell us about a purchase that gave you buyer's remorse.  I have bought a lot of clothing from Aritzia's website that I had to keep because they were on sale, and their policy at the time was no returns or exchanges on sale items. I also had buyer's remorse on every single beauty subscription box program that I ever joined.

  6. Legend has it that the Beatles officially broke up in Disney World. John Lennon was staying at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort when he received and signed the court papers that dissolved the group. Have you ever conducted business while on vacation? No. Vacation is vacation. That having been said, I'm also not in an industry where I would have to conduct business while on vacation.

  7. George Harrison loved puttering around in the garden and dedicated his autobiography to "gardeners everywhere." Do you have a green thumb? Absolutely not. But I admire those who do, and I appreciate a well-tended garden.

  8. Ringo regrets not having saved more Beatles memorabilia, which he realizes now would be worth a fortune. Are you a pack rat? I definitely have pack rat tendencies, but not to the point of hoarding. Like, I'll keep things up to a year, and then I'll do a massive purge, so if I haven't used that item in over a year, I'll toss it or donate it. The only exceptions to this rule are photos, movies and TV show box sets, music albums (I have not bought music on CD in a long time, but I will never throw away my old CDs), makeup and nail polish.

  9. Random question: Which do you prefer, Girl Scout cookies or Boy Scout popcorn? Girl Scout cookies by default, because I have never even heard of Boy Scout popcorn.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9