NARS Guy Bourdin: Blush in Day Dream and Coeur Battant

on
Monday, December 2, 2013

In October, NARS released their new holiday collection in collaboration with fashion photographer  Guy Bourdin. There has been quite a bit of controversy over Bourdin's photography over the years, which I will not comment on here, but François Nars cites Guy Bourdin as the sole inspiration for him becoming a make-up artist, so I see this collection as more of a reflection of how Bourdin influenced Nars with colour. The NARS Guy Bourdin collection consists of 17 individual products and six sets, and sees the release of three powder blushes, of which two are new and limited edition and one is permanent (which will not be reviewed here). They are housed in NARS' signature black rubberized mirrored compacts. Each blush contains a total of 4.8 grams of product, and retails for $32. 

Day Dream and Coeur Battant

Day Dream and Coeur Battant

Day Dream is a medium pinked coral with very subtle gold micro-shimmer in a satin finish. This is a new and limited edition shade. It has a soft, finely-milled texture, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. It is darker and way less shimmery than Orgasm, slightly lighter and more pink than Deep Throat, lighter and more peach than MAC Fleur Power, more pink than MAC Melba, and similar though much more matte than Tarte Glisten.
Coeur Battant is a medium-dark vibrant cool-toned magenta pink in a matte finish. This is a new and limited edition shade. It has a soft, finely-milled texture, and goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. It can be layered and blended out easily. There is nothing similar to this in NARS' permanent range; it is similar though more matte than MAC Full Fuchsia (PRO), similar though slightly cooler and more matte than MAC Azalea (PRO), and cooler and brighter than Tarte Flush.

Okay, so I know that Day Dream has a multitude of dupes across a plethora of brands, but it's one of those shades that has just the perfect amount of colour for everyday wear — it's not neutral so it still offers a good pop of colour but it's not too bright, and just leaves a perfect flush. I also like that the gold micro-shimmer is extremely subtle so that it looks more diffused and dimensional on the cheeks than a matte shade, but isn't actually shimmery enough to be categorized as "illuminating." Actually, this is what I wanted Orgasm to be, and if you can still get your hands on this, I would grab it over Orgasm in a heartbeat because it has a smoother, more finely-milled texture and offers more pigmentation. It's not a must-have at $32 a pop, but it's definitely a shade that I'll grab for all the time. On the other end of the spectrum, if you're looking for a bright hot pink blush, Coeur Battant is actually a really nice option. It's surprisingly blendable for such an intensely bright matte shade, so much so that you can really make it look like a flush of cotton candy pink rather than clown-cheek magenta. You can also add a soft shimmery powder on top (like NARS Miss Liberty or Hungry Heart) to make it look softer and more diffused and glowy. Either way, this is the one that's going to sell out fast just because of the novelty of this kind of shade (I don't think NARS has ever released something like this), so if you had your heart set on this one, grab it ASAP.
14 comments on "NARS Guy Bourdin: Blush in Day Dream and Coeur Battant"
  1. Oh man…I keep resisting Coeur Battant but I'm not sure why…SO FABULOUS. I know what you mean about Day Dream though too, sometimes neutrals need a little bit of a kick - this looks like it's got just enough to keep it peppy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that was me with Boys Don't Cry. I still kinda regret not getting it, lol. I think for me, though, it was the price point of those NARS x Pierre Hardy blushes. I think if it was the regular size with the regular price, I would've gotten it for sure. Anyhoo, Coeur Battant would look so damn good on your skintone!

      And yes, "peppy" is the best way to describe Day Dream! It's not really a "fall/winter shade," but I love wearing it when I want some pep without going too bright. :) Love it so much!

      Delete
  2. I know you use Illamasqua, so I thought you might like to know that they are doing daily giveaways (you can enter using facebook, twitter, or instagram) It's called 12 Days of Christmasqua, Day 3 is tomorrow, the 'look of the day' is posted at night on facebook. I think day 3 is a nail polish look. I would enter, but my camera is really old and takes blurry pics and won't pick up all the detail. You should enter!! It looks like only makeup artist and bloggers are the only ones winning so far, I think you'd have a good chance at winning! http://www.illamasqua.com/christmasqua/#

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I thought Coeurs Battant was totally going to get me, but it didn't do anything to me in person. Like, I thought it was going to whisper sweet nothings to me in French or something. And... nada. *phew*

    Off topic but I'm free this Friday and next Monday and Wednesday. Shall we go eat somewhere super delicious?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well, consider it money saved! I actually bought this without actually seeing it in person first -- I bought it solely from looking at online swatches. But no regrets here, 'cause I find it quite gorgeous! :)

      I'm only off Wednesday this week and I don't have next week's schedule yet, but I will let you know when I get it! :)

      Delete
  4. OMG, Day Dream looks so pretty! I'm not sure I'd prefer it over Orgasm since I tend to lean toward subtler shades, but ooh, the fact that it's more matte is a definite plus. I just ordered the Guy Bourdin Splendor in the Grass palette because it's such a wonderful range of blushes, but now I'm wishing it included Day Dream. Le sigh.

    Were there any good Cyber Monday sales for Canadian retailers?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would describe Day Dream as sort of that perfect middle ground between Orgasm and Deep Throat, without as much shimmer. :) I like the shade of Orgasm, but I don't love the texture of it, which is why I always went for Super Orgasm over Orgasm. Anyway, the Splendor in the Grass palette is lovely, great purchase! I was actually contemplating getting the One Night Stand blush palette, but I own three of the six shades and thought it'd be too expensive to be worth the price, but I think I'm regretting it now because the limited shades are so pretty. :(

      There were some good deals for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, sadly, and I spent way too much money when I reallllllly shouldn't have, lol. Did you haul any goodies?

      Delete
    2. Ooooh, haha! Yeah, I think I wouldn't have splurged on the palette if it weren't limited edition. :( I guess it depends just how much you want those three shades, hmmm.....

      lol, I spent way too much too, augh. Will you be doing a haul post? :D I got that NARS palette (there wasn't a deal for it, but I THOUGHT there was at first... ha!), a couple em michelle phan eyeliners (too good a deal to pass up, and I've always had trouble finding a smudge-proof liner), B&BW candles in Peach Bellini and Fresh Balsam, and clothing/shoes. I was also tempted by the Origins deals... AMONG OTHERS!

      Delete
    3. I think even if I wanted that palette now, it'd be really hard to find! I think all the Sephora locations sold out within a day or two of the VIB sale. :(

      I will be doing a haul post, don't you worry, lol! I'm actually still waiting for some of my Black Friday/Cyber Monday things to arrive. For some reason, I have no interest in Michelle Phan's make-up line, but perhaps it's because I don't like her tutorials or her videos, either. If you're looking for a good smudge-proof eye pencil, you should try MAC's Pro Longwear Eye Pencil. Wears on the waterline for six hours, too! I've also heard good things about Urban Decay's 24/7 liners, but I haven't tried them.

      I used to looooove Peach Bellini, but I kept burning it all the time and got sick of it. I still have half of one from last year, lol. I think the US in general has way better deals than we do. Like, 20% off at Sephora here is like regular American retail prices, especially after tax. :P

      Delete
  5. magenta! and what a magenta it is. thanks so much for the tips on how to wear it. i think i'll apply it to some of my other scary brights (and when some i mean one lol)
    day dream sounds pretty perfect actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Noooo problem, I'm always here for make-up tips and suggestions. :D

      I would actually buy all of NARS' blush releases if I had the money. Honestly. :P

      Delete
  6. Once again, I say DAMN YOU, DENISE! ... I am about to pick up Day Dream. I can't resist a good peachy-pink blush, especially a non-shimmery one because of my oily skin. Sephora still has stock so I'm going to take advantage of my VIB Rouge free shipping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! All I have to say is: You're welcome. ;)

      Did you get that $20 off $50 purchase rewards card from Sephora?

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9