MAC Viva Glam The Original: Viva Glam I Lipglass

on
Monday, September 23, 2013

For those who don't already know about MAC's Viva Glam program, every cent of the entire selling price of every Viva Glam product sold goes to the MAC AIDS Fund, which helps men, women, and children infected and affected by AIDS and HIV. In 1994, MAC launched the first Viva Glam product, Viva Glam I lipstick, and signed on RuPaul as the spokesmodel for this lipstick, making him the first drag queen supermodel. Using the same visuals from 1994 (featuring RuPaul spelling out "VIVA GLAM" in various poses), Viva Glam I is making a comeback this fall — now available in gloss form. The Viva Glam I Lipglass will be added to the permanent Lipglass range. As with all Lipglasses, it is vanilla-scented but taste-free, and comes in a clear tube with a black cap and a doe-foot applicator. Each tube contains 4.8 grams of product, and retails for $18. As they are for charity, none of the Viva Glam products are applicable for the Back to MAC recycling program.

Viva Glam I Lipglass

Viva Glam I Lipglass

Viva Glam I is a medium-dark vibrant cool-toned crimson red. This is a new and permanent shade. It has a creamy texture, and it goes on smoothly and evenly. It has high pigmentation with opaque colour pay-off. It is similar though slightly brighter than its lipstick counterpart. There is nothing similar to this in MAC's current permanent range; it is darker and less cool-toned than Russian Red Lipglass.

My favourite red lipstick of all time now comes in gloss form! I don't usually get too excited about Lipglasses in general, but this shade is perfection. It is possibly the easiest red to wear, ever — it's not too bright or too dark, and because it's cool-toned but also a brown-based red, it is actually universally flattering. The formula is great as well: it's incredibly pigmented and just applies so beautifully — no streaks, no patches, no seeping into lip lines. And it adds incredible dimension and richness when worn on top of Viva Glam I lipstick. I've worn this combo several times already and get dozens of compliments every time. I've personally found that it's not as sticky as many of the other Lipglass shades so it's more comfortable to wear, and I get a good four hours of wear-time with it alone.

The MAC AIDS Fund is one of the best and most effective charities I have ever seen a cosmetics company identify with. It still blows my mind that MAC helps this charity on a daily, on-going basis with their Viva Glam program. Not only that, but they don't just donate a portion or the proceeds to this cause — it's 100% of the selling price of any Viva Glam product. To date, the MAC AIDS Fund has raised over $270 million to help men, women, and children infected or affected by AIDS/HIV all over the world (you can see what buying one Viva Glam lipstick or Lipglass can do here). This is a really worthy cause, so if you're not personally a fan of red lips, it's worth checking out any of the other Viva Glam shades that may be more wearable or flattering on you.
6 comments on "MAC Viva Glam The Original: Viva Glam I Lipglass"
  1. The red is such a nice shade. I've always like Viva Glam partly for the charity but also for promoting acceptance of different types of people.

    One day you have to post a photo of yourself with bright lipsticks :) I want to see!

    Oh btw I read that there's an Illamasqua store now at The Bay (or was it Hudson's Bay?). Not too sure if that's in Toronto or not but I follow this other wonderful make up artiste, Deepa Berar, on Twitter and she mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Viva Glam I. Like, I don't think there's a more perfect red, ever. Do you have the lipstick?

      Haha, alright, just for you, I will start posting lip pics on Instagram. :P

      And, yes, there is an Illamasqua counter now at The Bay, which is a department store (the parent company is Hudson's Bay Company), but it's downtown and I live quite far from there (about a 40 minute drive) so I don't go down there often. Perhaps I can drag the BF down with me at some point, lol.

      Delete
    2. Aah. OK. I don't have the lipstick. Do I need it?

      Yes! Looking forward to your lip swatches for sure.

      Right, I see what you mean. Was just happy to know that there is indeed an Illamasqua store there. Though I had serious issues with their Skin Base foundation, I still like the brand :)

      Delete
    3. In a word: YES!!! I'm surprised you don't already have Viva Glam I already, actually. Do you have Viva Glam III? It would also look great on you!

      I've only tried Illamasqua's lipsticks, blushes, and nail polishes, but I am interested in trying their other products!

      Delete
  2. I'm getting this some day! My MAC order is getting bigger and BIGGER and B I G G E R. THANKS, DENISE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Well, if you do get the funds to get this, you totally should! There's no discounts allowed on Viva Glams, 'cause they're for charity but this shade is SO WORTH IT. I say you get the lipstick first and then the lip gloss!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9