Essie Summer 2012 Bikini So Teeny Collection

on
Saturday, July 14, 2012

Okay, when I saw Essie's Summer 2012 collection, I could not resist. It was like looking at a big bowl of colourful candies (but not jelly beans, 'cause they're gross). So when I saw that four of the six shades were offered as minis in a boxset, I snatched it up right away. It has to be noted that, while Essie has some fantastic shades, I have been consistently disappointed with the formula so I have sort of avoided buying Essie for the past year or so (save for a shade here and there). The last time I was this excited about an Essie collection was 2010's Resort Collection, of which I also had to have every single shade. I am happy to report that this year's Summer Collection comes in at a close second.

Bikini So Teeny, Fear or Desire, Mojito Madness, and Off the Shoulder

Bikini So Teeny is a light periwinkle blue with a very subtle silver shimmer. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It does streak a bit, but I didn't have any problems with pulling or bubbling. It has medium pigmentation and will reach opacity in three coats. It is lighter than Topshop's Celestial and Essie's Lapis of Luxury.

Fear or Desire is a medium bright tangerine orange in a cream finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling, bubbling, or streaking. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in two coats. It is darker and more vibrant than Zoya's Arizona, and less reddened than OPI's Y'all Come Back Ya Hear?.

Mojito Madness is a medium brightened grass green in a cream finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling, bubbling, or streaking. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in two coats. It is lighter and warmer than Essie's Pretty Edgy, and cooler than Illamasqua's Smash.

Off the Shoulder is a medium bright passion pink with yellow undertones in a cream finish. It has a fluid consistency without being too thick or too runny. It goes on smoothly and evenly, without any pulling, bubbling, or streaking. It has high pigmentation and will reach opacity in two coats. It is lighter and warmer than Essie's Funny Face, and lighter than MAC's Steamy.

This was a really well-executed summer collection in terms of range of shades and formula. With the exception of Bikini So Teeny being a little sheer and streaky, they were all a pleasure to work with and wear — I actually got tons of compliments on Bikini So Teeny, though, which somehow manages to be soft and vibrant at the same time. But all of them are very summer-appropriate and worth checking out — they're perfect for someone like me, who likes the idea of drinking cocktails under a brightly-coloured umbrella on white sands and overlooking a clear blue ocean... but hates it in actual execution.
6 comments on "Essie Summer 2012 Bikini So Teeny Collection"
  1. What do you mean hate it in actual execution???? WHY! LOL

    I love the collection in its entirety but not crazy about the individual colours, though that orange is just begging to be stared at. Such an attention whore that one. Maybe I'll pull out Mojito Madness and give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, there's just something about sun and heat and like... nature... that I don't like... :P I love LOOKING at the beach, just not being on it, lol.

      The orange is definitely a bright one! I kind of love the attention-seeking nature of it, lol. My favourite is Bikini So Teeny (I swear, it looks good on everyone), followed by Mojito Madness. 'Cause you know my thing for blues and greens... I actually really like the other pink shade from this collection -- it wasn't included in my set, but I saw swatches of it and OH GOD SO PRETTY. I like it more than the pink included here, which is cute and summery but kind of... boring? Surprisingly, Mojito Madness seemed to be the most unique of the bunch. Every other green I've seen or own is either lighter, darker, warmer, cooler, brighter, or more subdued...

      Delete
  2. Denise your nails look perfect! I actually quite like this collection painted side-by-side as per your swatch, they pair so nicely together. Mojito Madness and Off the Shoulder has definitely caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey! :) They are rather cute together, aren't they? Sometimes, I get so overwhelmed by choice, I end up wearing three or four shades at the same time, alternating fingers. :P

      Mojito Madness is GORGEOUS.

      Delete
  3. I picked up Bikini So Teeny and I absolutely adore the shade. I considered getting Off the Shoulder but passed at the time...and I'm sort of regretting it, because its so pretty - and looks great on you, Denise! Actually, all of these shades you make look very wearable, even the green (which is SO not my color).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikini So Teeny is definitely my favourite. :D Looks good on ALL skintones!

      Haha, thank you, I find that greens and blues look best on me. For some reason, I can't wear coral. I don't know why. I think they make my hands look dirty or something. I wear coral all over my face but once it's on my nails, it's hideous! :P

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9