Szechuan Garden

on
Monday, April 9, 2012
Shawn and I went for dinner at Szechuan Garden, also known as Yummy Dumpling, according to the awning outside the restaurant. When I read the "Yummy Dumpling" sign, I was like, "Well, these guys are advertising that for a reason!" So, we pretty much ignored the rest of the menu and just ordered lots of dumplings:

Wontons in chili oil

Wonton in chili oil (innards)

Xiao long bao or steamed pork soup dumplings

Steamed pork soup dumpling (innards)

Steamed pork and chive dumplings

Steamed pork and chive dumpling (innards)

Pan-fried pork dumplings

Pan-fried pork dumpling (innards)

Overall, the dumplings were really good — piping hot and fresh, wrappers that weren't too thin or thick, generously stuffed with meaty fillings (haha, dirty) — but not the best I've ever had in terms of flavour. However, the price is right (I think it was about $25 after tax and tip for the both of us), and they have a huge variety of dumplings (that has its own menu!) along with many other Szechuan dishes (that we didn't try 'cause we got distracted by the dumplings). They always have a deal going on with their regular steamed dumpling menu, in which the second dumpling dish is half-price. We didn't take advantage of this, as the pork and chives dumplings was the only dish we ordered from that menu, but I will be sure to try more from it next time (I think the chicken and mushroom dumplings are calling out to me).
15 comments on "Szechuan Garden"
  1. OMG I LOOOOOVEEEE dumplings!! Also, what a co-in-kee-dink I'm having dim sum tomorrow...

    And I've never had Xiao Long Bao before. I'm so curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't even know how jealous I am that you are going to dim sum tomorrow. :( Eat a har gow for me, please. Or make it six. :P

      OMG, how is it possible that you've never had pork soup dumplings before?!?!?! They are so super delicious, I can't even. Get thee to a Shanghai/Szechuan restaurant ASAP!!! I actually love the ones from Asian Legend -- there's one at Commerce Gate (Hwy 7 + Leslie) where you go for Korean BBQ!

      Delete
  2. Um, these look pretty divine. I hate that it's nearly 4 in the morning and I'm looking at pictures of food. So bad! So hungry!

    Those wontons in chili oil, look like wontons inside of a burning ring of...fire. Har, har, har!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yeah, it's totally evil. Even I have to avoid looking at my own pictures because I get super hungry and then ANGRY that I can't eat. >:(

      Oh, my god, those spicy wontons were so good. Probably my favourite dish of the night. I could've eaten like, ten of those. But I had to share with Shawn. :P

      Also, are we meeting up on Wednesday? I am kinda on a budget, so I was seeing if there was something we could make that was on the cheaper end of the ingredients list...

      Delete
    2. If you're still down for Wednesday, then it's on!
      As for what to bake on a budget..
      vanilla bean latté cupcakes? (Buy frosting)
      Chocolate cookies with Reese PB cups or York Mint patties? (Buy the candy, which is on sale $1/8pk)
      Chocolate/Skor bar cupcakes (Skor bars and frosting)
      lol basically any kind of cupcake.

      We should hunt down cheap Easter candy. :D
      Call or text me

      Delete
  3. soooo mouthwateringggg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can't even look at these pictures right now because they just make me hungry, and it's like, 4:00 in the morning. :P

      I am apparently my own worst enemy.

      Delete
  4. OMG those dumplings/wantons look SOOO DAMN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a lot of authentic Szechuan restaurants here in Manila and their pulled noodles are also really good!!! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they were really good, not gonna lie. We have tons and tons and tons of Chinese restaurants here because for whatever reason, Chinese people LOVE immigrating to Canada... (... my parents included...). My cousins from HK tell me the Asian food here is sometimes better than the stuff they have over there, lol. The recipes seem to be the same, but maybe the food here is fresher? I mean, we do have a RIDICULOUS amount of farms... In fact, I pass by a field of cows every day...

      God, I need a massive bowl of pulled noodles like, right now. HUNGRY. :(

      Delete
    2. Don't you just LOVE wanton wontons??!?! #sluttyfoods #hardyharhar

      Delete
  5. I just ate the most boring lunch ever and your food photos are killing me. Looks like I have to make pan fried dumplings soon. *DROOOOL*

    You eat some of the best food ever Miss D! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my food photos kill me, too. :(

      And, thanks, Fieran! ;) To be fair, I don't post about the crappy food here, lol!

      Delete
  6. I'm losing it. These look SO GOOD!

    I wonder if I love dumplings or noodles more?

    Xiao long bao is the best dumpling for sure. There is this place I go downtown. It is really dirty and dumpy but the dumps and noodles (hand pulled) are so good.

    I'll bring you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like you can't decide between dumplings and noodles. It would be like picking between two of my favourite nail polishes or something. Impossible, really.

      Ahhhhh, we need to get dumps and noods ASAP!!! I'm so hungry now. :(

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9