MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow Refresh: Single Mélange Eyeshadows

on
Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A couple weeks ago, MAC launched their annual Mineralize Eyeshadow Refresh. There is no official "collection launch" for this, as the products from these "refreshes" are available for a full 12 months before MAC changes them. This year, MAC has released ten new Mineralize Eyeshadows, five of which are single mélange shades and five of which are duos, which will replace last year's six duos. (Last year's duos will still be available until stock runs out, so if there were any shades you liked, you still have a chance to pick them up!) This post will feature the five single mélange shades from this refresh. Each eyeshadow comes in regular black packaging, contains 2.2 grams of product, and retails for $24.

Gilt By Association, Smutty Green, Blue Flame, Young Punk, and Cinderfella

Gilt By Association is a blend of blackened brown and dark olive-gold. When swirled together, it's a dark olive-brown with olive-gold sparkle. It is a re-promoted shade from 2009's Style Black collection, and will be permanent for one year going forward. The texture is soft and smooth, and it has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. There is some fall-out due to the amount of glitter, but it is minimal. When used wet, the colour becomes much more intense and it looks much more metallic. It is darker and more bronze than Sumptuous Olive.

Smutty Green is a blend of black and dark forest green with silver, gold, and red shimmer. When swirled together, it's a blackened forest green with cool-toned green sparkle. It is a new shade, and will be permanent for one year going forward. The texture is fairly gritty due to the larger glitter used in this so there is some fall-out and unevenness when applied dry. When used wet, the colour becomes much more intense and the green metallic sheen really comes out. It is much darker than Humid.

Blue Flame is a blend of black, navy blue, and silver. When swirled together, it's a dark navy blue with blue sparkle. It is a re-promoted shade from 2009's Style Black collection, and will be permanent for one year going forward. The texture is soft and smooth, and it has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. There is some fall-out due to the amount of glitter, but it is minimal. When used wet, the colour becomes much more intense and the blue metallic sheen really comes out. It is darker than Contrast.

Young Punk is a blend of black, purple, and pink-purple. When swirled together, it's a black with purple shimmer. It is a re-promoted shade from 2009's Style Black collection, and will be permanent for one year going forward. The texture is fairly gritty due to the larger glitter used in this so there is some fall-out, chalkiness, and unevenness when applied dry. When used wet, the colour becomes much more intense and the purple metallic sheen really comes out. It is darker than Nocturnelle.

Cinderfella is a blend of blackened brown, silver, and grey. When swirled together, it's a black with gunmetal and silver shimmer. It is a re-promoted shade from 2009's Style Black collection, and will be permanent for one year going forward. The texture is soft and smooth, and it has high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. There is some fall-out due to the amount of glitter, but it is minimal. When used wet, the colour becomes much more intense and the silver metallic sheen really comes out. It's like a much more intense and metallic version of Black Tied.

Mineralize eyeshadows tend to go on more sheer and uneven when used dry, and these are really no different. They're not difficult to use, but they tend to have more fall-out and patchiness than your average eyeshadow, and they do require some layering. But when used wet, they have this gorgeous, dazzling, metallic effect with jewel-like sparkles and super-intense colour. That is to say, they are entirely worth working with, because the result is stunning. I like to dampen a MAC #239 brush with Fix+, and put it directly onto the eyeshadow — Mineralize eyeshadows are actually made to be used both dry and wet, unlike many of MAC's other eyeshadows. Those who like Mineralize eyeshadows will like these, and those who don't probably won't change their mind. But for those who like darker colours, these are definitely worth looking into.
10 comments on "MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow Refresh: Single Mélange Eyeshadows"
  1. Denise! They're so prettyyyyyy!!!

    I think Young Punk's my favourite out of the bunch.


    P.S. What did you think of Hunger Games??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite of the bunch is Gilt by Association, followed by Young Punk, BUT Young Punk can be kind of a pain to apply. :( But they sure are pretty! You want any? I have extras, 'cause I had some from the MAC sale a couple years ago. :P

      I LOVE The Hunger Games. I finished it in about 2 days, lol. Have you read it?

      Delete
    2. SAMESIESSS!!! I loved Katniss in Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Kind of hated her in Mockingjay, though. You'll see for yourself soon enough.


      And... ummm.. SURE! ;)
      THANKS!!!

      P.S. CANNOT wait for Burger's Priest.

      Delete
    3. Oh, MAN. I am totally half-way through Catching Fire (which I started... today... OH GOD IT IS SO ADDICTIVE.)

      Will bring you goodies when I see you for Burger's Priest. :D

      Delete
  2. SOOO nice! I wish it was nighttime all the time so I can wear these! HAHA! I'm only comfortable wearing nudes to work!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I wish I could re-tweet that.

      (I can't believe I've become one of THOSE people...)

      Do you have an office job? It might be more appropriate to wear nudes, anyway. :P I love that I have a job where I have full creativity in what I wear on my face!

      Delete
  3. I picked up Gilt by Association yesterday and I love it. I'm wearing it today. It's a nice olive-gold like shade. I always wear Mineralize Eyeshadows on top of creamy bases like paint pots or greasepaint sticks. They work very well that way and last more than 8 hours without creasing (though I have UDPP underneath). I'm always a bit sad when people tell me how much they hate the formula. Recent colours like Twilight Falls, In The Sun, Winterize,.. are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yayyyy, Gilt by Association is my favourite! I think any of these shades would look great on your skintone, though. :)

      I personally have no issues with Mineralize eyeshadows -- I actually really like them, and don't have problems with wear or fading. Perhaps it's those who don't want to bother with eye primers and bases and "extra steps" that don't like Mineralize. I mean, realistically, these will perform much better with a base or used damp and there are many people who don't want the extra work... but I actually think a lot of the shades that come out in this formula are prettier than some of their regular eyeshadows, lol.

      Delete
    2. Hehe. I am going to skip Smutty Green and Blue Flame as I have Dark Indulgence and Blue Sheen. As for Young Punk, I have the duo from Venomous Villains.

      I bought some of the stuff I really wanted like Chanel's Illusion d'Ombre in Ebloui, MAC's Shop & Drop Quad as well as some clothing when I was in London last weekend. Will try out Shop & Drop soon :)

      Delete
    3. Ooh, yes, I actually like Dark Indulgence and Blue Sheen more, to be honest -- they go on much smoother and more even. :) And the duo from Venomous Villains (I think it's called My Dark Magic?) is gorgeous and also much better pigmentation than Young Punk. Oh, man, I hope MAC comes out with something as epic as Venomous Villains was. I seriously spent like, $300 on that collection!

      Do a look with your new make-up soon, please! :D I really want to try Chanel's Illusion d'Ombre, actually. I wonder how similar they are to Armani's Eyes to Kill... And I am so glad you got Shop & Drop -- it will look stunning on you!!!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9