Julep Maven Box: February 2012

on
Saturday, February 18, 2012

I got my Julep Maven box in the mail last week! I seriously look forward to these every month — the moment I get the shipping notification in my e-mail, I'll walk down the street to my mailbox every single day to check if it's arrived (as opposed to my usual bi-weekly mailbox check). Anyway, this month, I opted for the "Boho Glam" box instead of the "It Girl" box that I normally get because the colours didn't appeal to me as much this time around. This month's "Boho Glam" box included a bottle of their Essential Cuticle Oil and two new shades of their nail polish:

Marisa, Oscar, and Marisa with a coat of Oscar on top

Marisa is a dark, rich cobalt blue with blue micro-shimmer. It goes on smoothly and evenly, with very high pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. This is really a one-coater, but two will make it perfect. It is similar to many other dark blue shades: Chanel Blue Satin, Essie Midnight Cami, OPI Yoga-ta Get This Blue, China Glaze Up All Night.

Oscar is a gold glitter suspended in a clear base. It goes on smoothly and evenly, though it is on the thicker side. It has medium-high pigmentation and semi-opaque colour pay-off. You need two medium-thick coats to completely cover the nail. Essie's As Gold As It Gets is more sheer and has gold "flakes," Deborah Lippmann's Boom Boom Pow has hexagonal glitter, Deborah Lippmann's Shake Your Groove Thing has bigger and chunkier glitter, and Butter London's West End Wonderland has smaller and more multi-dimensional glitter.

Neither shade is very unique, but both are absolutely gorgeous. Oscar was surprisingly easy to use for a glitter — most glitter formulas need at least three shades to completely cover the nail bed, and Oscar got there in two. This is the first glitter shade I've received from Julep, and I am still impressed with their formulas. Seriously, I have yet to be disappointed with a Julep nail polish — they all apply so, so beautifully. I wouldn't say either of them are must-haves, because they both have tons of dupes, but I still really enjoy these colours and I don't regret getting either of them. And, $46 worth of product for $20 is a phenomenal deal. I can't wait to see what Julep has in store for March!
10 comments on "Julep Maven Box: February 2012"
  1. I'm not a big fan of gold glitter but this one is very nice! And dark blue shimmer is my nail polish kryptonite. Yet I've forgotten I had Chanel Blue Satin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, how do you forget you have Chanel Blue Satin?! I NEVER FORGET A NAIL POLISH. THEY ARE MY BABIES.

      I love gold glitter... and dark blue... but now that I have multiples of both, it doesn't excite me as much. I am waiting patiently for Deborah Lippmann's mermaid shades!

      Delete
  2. I think I'm FINALLY over my glitter nailpolish obsession! BUTTTTT this gold one looks really nice!! The blue, I was just gonna say is similar to OPI's yoga-get this blue which I wore almost everyday for 2 months before! I'm really into neutrals right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone goes through phases with nail polishes. I still LOVE glitter, but I'm currently into a duochrome/multi-chrome phase. :P The gold glitter is nice, but I feel like it's more holiday-themed. Would've been great for Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Loving the gold glitter!

    P.S. I made a new blog - I finally figured out how to transfer my livejournal posts! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you switched out of LJ. I really hate their layouts. And now with the ads! OH GOD. Yayyyyy for new blogs!

      Delete
  4. DUDE, you told me to keep an eye out...and I DID.
    SDM is having a sale on L'oreal Lip Butters - $8 this week!!
    I'd go on Friday, midnight to get the best colour selections :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, I AM SO EXCITED. I'm gonna buy like, six of them. :D

      Delete
  5. Lovely! I'm a huge fan of the Julep polishes, too, and got that gold in my "American Beauty" box last month (along with a dark red -- love!). Their formula is great and I'm pretty impressed with how long they remain chip-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Meg! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

      I am totally in love with Julep polishes. I continue to be impressed with my Julep Maven boxes every single month -- this is one "beauty subscription box" that I'm in for the long haul!

      Delete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9