Yoko Japanese Restaurant

on
Friday, March 4, 2011

Wynnie, Edward, and I went to Yoko for dinner. The location of the restaurant is not exactly hidden, but it's not the easiest to find because it's in a building on its own in the middle of a fairly industrial area (on McNicoll, west of Victoria Park). On the bright side, this means no waiting for a table. Our waitress didn't understand English very well, so it was a little harder to get our orders across, but she was pleasant and accommodating. I also liked that we didn't have to wait long before food started coming out on the table. We got miso soup, salad, and edamame within two minutes of ordering. We decided to share the crunchy crab salad, a sashimi boat, and a black dragon roll to start, all of which were phenomenal. They were super fresh, came in generous portions, and were just really tasty. And both the boat and the maki were presented beautifully.


For our mains, Edward ordered the kalbi (beef ribs) on rice, Wynnie ordered some more maki rolls, and I got the beef donburi. While Edward's and Wynnie's meals were great (I tried both of their dishes), my donburi was... pretty bad. Not that it's inedible or anything, but it lacked flavour and was a bit watery, for some reason, like it was stuck in a steamer for too long. Really, it didn't even look good. It was my first time ordering donburi, so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it really looked like something I could make at home – but mine would probably taste better. I mean, it was beef and vegetables scrambled into egg and put on top of rice. Pretty simple, easy to make. You'd think they'd be able to make it taste good, you know? I had to add soy sauce to it to get any flavour at all. This doesn't turn me off from ordering donburi again, I just won't order it at Yoko. That aside, all of the other items we tried were amazing and I would definitely go there again. It's just unfortunate that I ordered such a flop from a menu so extensive.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9