Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush: Amused, Blissful, and Exposed

on
Sunday, December 4, 2011

I asked Mary to pick me up some goodies on her recent trip to Las Vegas, including three shades of Tarte's highly-rated Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush. (Thanks, Mary!) It was Tarte's Cheek Stains that really put them on the map, but seeing as I'm not a fan of gel or cream blushes, they were a miss for me. So when Tarte released these powder blushes, I was super-excited to try them. Of course, I got sidetracked with other products and kind of forgot about these ones, so when Mary offered to grab some stuff for me in the States, I jumped at the chance to pick up a few of these babies (she saved me over $25 just from the lower retail price and lower sales tax rate!). Each blush is housed in a mirrored compact with the corresponding blush shade, contains 5.6 grams of product, and retail for $33 in Canada.

Clockwise from bottom: Amused, Blissful, and Exposed

Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blushes are solar-baked and, as implied, are infused with Amazonian clay, which Tarte calls "nature's most perfect ingredient." They are supposedly "nutrient rich and skin-nourishing" because of the Amazonian clay, and promise to "restore harmony for a flawless finish that lasts all day." Tarte promises that this blush "minimizes oil in and around pores to balance skin and keep product in place" for oily skin types, "hydrates skin naturally to restore moisture so blush wears better and longer" for dry skin types, "improves the appearance of skin clarity and skin texture" for dull skin, and "gives skin an overall smooth and even appearance" for combination skin types. The shades are "inspired" by their Cheek Stain shades, and most of them are actually named correspondingly. Each blush is imprinted with what I imagine is the Amazon River flowing through tropical rainforest.

Blissful (close-up)

Amused, Blissful, and Exposed

Amused is a medium bright cool-toned passion pink in a matte finish. It has a very smooth, silky texture, and has amazing pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. A little goes a long way here, and it's very easy to over-do considering the brightness of the shade. It is cooler than MAC Dollymix, warmer than NARS Desire, and brighter than NARS Angelika.

Blissful is a medium warm coral-peach with a touch of pink in a matte finish. It has a very smooth, silky texture, and has amazing pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. A little goes a long way here, and it's very easy to over-do considering the brightness of the shade. It is more pink than MAC Pinch Me, brighter than NARS Deep Throat, and lighter than NARS Torrid.

Exposed is a medium soft beige-brown with a touch of rose-mauve in a matte finish. It has a very smooth, silky texture, and has amazing pigmentation and opaque colour pay-off. A little goes a long way, but it's hard to over-do because it's such a muted colour. It is more pink than MAC Prism, lighter than NARS Oasis, and less brown than NARS Douceur.

These blushes are absolutely gorgeous, from the texture to the wear to the shades. All of them are so smooth and silky and blendable; they go on like a dream! I've never personally had a problem with the wear-time of blushes because I always wear it on top of primer (MAC Face Protect SPF 50) and powder foundation (MAC Studio Fix Powder) rather than on bare skin, so I can't actually say if this has a longer wear-time than my other blushes. Theoretically, though, because they're very pigmented and they're in a matte finish, they should wear longer. These give me the look of most other matte blushes, but I like that these don't look powdery when applied (they can look powdery in swatches). However, they are easy to over-apply because of the high pigmentation, so I recommend using a lighter hand or a duo fibre brush.

I have combination skin where I'm very oily in the T-zone and normal in the cheeks; I will agree that these blushes do give my cheeks "an overall smooth and even appearance," but most blushes look like that on me, so I'm not sure I really notice a difference with their "Skinvigorating" ingredients. Moreover, a lot of the skincare-like claims with these blushes ("improves skin clarity, elasticity, firmness, and texture") would require using these blushes everyday, like skincare, to really test their efficacy. In the end, I would recommend these for how they look and wear as blushes, since at the core, that is what they are. For those who are looking for some outstanding matte blushes, definitely check these out.
14 comments on "Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush: Amused, Blissful, and Exposed"
  1. Man, you could have bought another shade with the money you saved! LOL

    And I knew I should have picked at least one shade because the texture was heavenly! They really didn't look powdery on the skin at all.

    p.s. I checked out Sephora.com and couldn't find both Welt and Wanton... I guess Sephora doesn't carry the entire range of their lipsticks? I'm not so sure, but it's been BOTHERING ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary -- I KNOW, RIGHT? Oh, man, I should've picked up another one, for sure. BUT, I did receive a $20 off coupon from Sephora (when I spend $50, of course), so maybe I can pick up another one... :P AS IF I NEED MORE BLUSH. Did you get the coupon as well? If not, maybe I can forward you the coupon as well, and then you can get $20 off also? We can always try... ;) Maybe we should do a dim sum + make-up day on Friday... I have a $30 off gift card from Murale, too. :P

    LOL, don't worry about the Illamasqua lipsticks! I think maybe they were taken off Sephora's stock list? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure they were permanent there at some point. I know they are on Illamasqua's website, so perhaps they are only available in the UK now... :( But no, Sephora doesn't carry the entire line, not just for lipsticks, but for most of their other products. GOD, Illamasqua needs to come to Canada. It would be severely dangerous for my wallet... but would make me oh-so happy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these blushes. I have three of them - Blushing Bride and Natural Beauty along with a smaller version of Exposed. Sephora had this Blush + Bronzer box for the Amazonian Clay range. It was a small box with two small items - the blush and bronzer but not packaged together for 15 USD. I saw one last piece and grabbed it. It's great for travel.

    I have way too oily skin but this blush stays on whole day even if my foundation looks a bit weird, the blush remains (which is not always a blessing ;))

    I love that it doesn't break me out though. I do have the shimmery shades but they don't really emphasize my pores.

    Happy to hear you like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fieran -- How's the bronzer? As good as the blush? I think I'm going to pick up a few more shades of the blush; I'm very interested in Natural Beauty, Flush, and Tipsy. :) So pretty! I thought all of the Tarte powder blushes were matte, though? Are they making shimmery ones, too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the plummy shades has gold flecks, I thought.

    Denise, let's just get the entire Tarte blush collection. I mean, we might as well. Your photos just tipped me over BEYOND blush fiend to blush batshit crazy clown cheeks fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, Liz, I just choked on my spit, I was laughing so hard. :(

    But... I reckon that's where this is headed... I'll buy another three and then be like, "Well, I'm only two away from getting the entire set... might as well..." We shall be batshit crazy clown cheeks fanatics together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehehe you guys are so cute. We don't get a lot of brands in Norway but my bf travels a bit so from time to time I give him a list.

    Natural Beauty and Blushing Bride both have a bit of shimmer in them. I think Amused (or Exposed?).. the pinky one, that one is matte as far as I can remember.

    The bronzer is pretty. I'm NW43 so it's kind of neutral on me, so I don't "look" very bronzed up. I like the slight shimmer in it too as it cheers me up in bleak winter days (*cough* like now *cough*).

    (This is the two-pack: http://reviews.sephora.com/8723/P294808/reviews.htm)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Err OK, it wasn't Amused or Exposed, it was Dollface. Sorry for the mix-up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fieran -- Now I HAVE to buy the other blushes. I actually prefer shimmer blushes to matte ones, and after looking at the swatches online, I'm going to need to get Dollface, Natural Beauty, and Flush... (I think Blushing Bride is going to be a little too dark on my NC35 skin, but we shall see!)

    It must be tough to get your hands on a lot of cosmetics in Norway. I live in Canada, and while we do have a TON of brands, we also don't get as many as the US, and a lot of those US companies don't ship online to Canada, which is SO UNFAIR because we share a massive border with the States. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time to set up a clown tent in Vegas! Mary can visit and show us where to eat all the good buffets. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, you know, Liz, I totally would... except for the fact that I'm totally scared of clowns. :( But, god, I would kill to go to those buffets right now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL!! Guys, the buffets there trump the best ones we have here any day...

    Also, Denise, have you thought of getting a PO box in Niagara? You can have your stuff shipped there so you can save on shipping and (maybe) duties.

    p.s. AM SO DOWN for dim sum and makeup. I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I forgot to mention that certain hotel buffets have joined forces and now offer 24 hour passes for only $44 or something per person. IMAGINE the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary -- You bring up an interesting concept... but it's like, how often will I go down to Niagara to pick up packages, you know? It is tempting, though...

    YES, I AM EXCITED FOR DIM SUM!!! I wonder if there are dim sum buffets...?

    ReplyDelete

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9