Saturday Nine: I Love Lucy (1951)

on
Saturday, July 14, 2018
This week's Saturday Nine:

You can hear this week's song here.
  1. Before today, did you know that the "I Love Lucy" theme had lyrics? No, but I'd also never heard of the song before today.

  2. Since its premiere in 1951, I Love Lucy has never been off the air. Are you a fan? No, but I've also never watched a single episode of this show.

  3. On the show, Ricky Riccardo supports his family by performing in a nightclub. Do you know anyone in show business? I used to know many people in local rock bands but I think all of them have disbanded by now. I did know Care of Die Mannequin somewhat personally because we used to go to a lot of her old band's shows and would talk to them after their sets, but she was so high all the time that I don't think she remembers most of that time in her life.

  4. Lucy and Ricky's best friends are Fred and Ethel, their landlord and his wife. Are you friendly with your neighbours? I'll say 'hi' to them if I see them outside but my interactions with anyone in the neighbourhood are pretty limited.

  5. One of the most popular episodes has Lucy and Ethel working on the conveyor belt at a chocolate factory. When did you last have chocolate? I had a mini dark chocolate Kit Kat after dinner last night.

  6. Another famous episode has Lucy promoting Vitametavegimin. This tonic is made with vitamins, meat, vegetables — and 23% alcohol. Do you read the ingredients statement before you take an over-the-counter medication? Or do you trust that it's safe because it's on the store shelf? I actually do read the ingredients for over-the-counter medication, but since I don't actually know what like, 98% of the ingredients are, I also just trust that it's safe because it's over-the-counter. Canada's fairly strict about over-the-counter medication, though, so I don't really question it.

  7. I Love Lucy was filmed before a live audience. Desi Arnaz (Ricky) always maintained he could identify the chuckle of his mother-in-law, who attended every taping. Do you know anyone who has a distinctive laugh? I would say my friend Tuta. She has a higher pitched, very giddy sort of laugh. It's really cute and cheerful. The most distinctive laugh I have ever heard is not from real life, but from videos only, and it's from Jin of BTS. It's so distinct, in fact, that there are actually thousands of compilation videos dedicated solely to his laugh. If I were to describe it, it would be "windshield wiper."

  8. The show ended when the Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz marriage ended. Have you ever had to choose sides when a couple broke up? No; I'm not usually friends with both people in a couple equally. I'm usually closer to one person over the other to begin with.

  9. Random question — You must eat the same dinner, every day, between now and Labor Day. An identical menu, no deviation. What will you be having? Noodle soup. More specifically, ramen (preferably thick) with pork belly and soft-boiled egg in a pork bone broth, like the Tonkotsu at Sansotei. To be honest, I don't think I'd get sick of it even after eating it everyday for two months.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9