Saturday Nine: Start Me Up (1981)

on
Saturday, August 12, 2017
This week's Saturday Nine:


  1. The cover art for "Start Me Up" features a goat wearing a high heel. What's on your feet as you answer these questions? Nothing, I'm barefoot.

  2. More fashion: In the video for this song, Mick is wearing white pants with an elastic waistband. Are you wearing a belt as you answer these questions? No, I haven't worn a belt in years. When I'm at home (which is where I am now), I live in Uniqlo's Drape Pants, which have a stretchy shirring material at the waist with a drawstring. They're by far the most comfortable pants I own.

  3. In this song, Mick pleads, "Don't make a grown man cry." When is the last time you shed a tear? Maybe a month ago? I was reading a book and was also PMS-ing and I got emotional.

  4. Keith Richard has said this is a song he could play "forever and ever." What in your life doesn't get old, no matter how often you do it? Reading Harry Potter. It is still just as good today as when I started reading the series 20 years ago. (Also, holy shit, I can't believe it's been 20 years since the first Harry Potter book was published.)

  5. While The Rolling Stones enjoy performing songs, like this one, from Tattoo You, Mick Jagger has dismissed the songs from their 1967 album Their Satanic Majesties Request as "rubbish." Do you have a favourite Rolling Stones song? My favourite Rolling Stones song is "Wild Horses," but I only like the cover by The Sundays. I first heard it on an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the prom episode!) and I remember buying the show's soundtrack specifically for the song (but the soundtrack as a whole has actually become one of my favourites). When I found out it was a cover, I played the original from my dad's Best of Rolling Stones album and I was like, "Euggghh, it's so bad." (And actually, I pretty much prefer all covers of Rolling Stones songs to the originals.)


  6. This recording of "Start Me Up" features a cowbell. Do you remember which Saturday Night Live host made, "More cowbell!" a catchphrase? Yeah, Christopher Walken.

  7. Bassist Bill Wyman once said he thought he should have been a archivist because he loved to make lists. Do you have a to-do list? I make to-do lists on my days off to keep me on track with errands and chores and other things that I don't have time to do on work days. One thing that is always on my to-do lists is laundry.

  8. Mick finds it hard to stand still when he sings, not only on stage but also in the studio. The engineer for this song reports that Mick would have to run across the room to get back to the microphone for his vocal. Are you more fidgety, or still? Depends on how much coffee I've had, but I'm generally not a fidgety person.

  9. Random question: Do you believe men are inherently more sensible than women? The feminist in me wants to say no, but in reality, all the males I know are generally more sensible than all the females I know. Though I do think that this is because modern-day society has made women feel like they need more and more things to maintain their lifestyles as compared to men, so we are less practical when we choose to do or buy things. Like, do I need to buy 12 bottles of nail polish in one go? Or do I need to buy a $40 lipstick? Do I need to spend an hour getting ready? Absolutely not. But do I want to? Sure do.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9