Saturday Nine: Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

on
Saturday, July 1, 2017
This week's Saturday Nine:


(These questions refer to the July 4th holiday in the US, but as it's Canada Day today — in fact, it's Canada's 150th birthday — it's the same holiday weekend and I figured I'd still answer the questions as if they were pertaining to Canada Day.)

  1. This week's song was performed by James Cagney in the famous movie of the same name. Do you plan on going to the movies this holiday weekend? Nah. I watched Wonder Woman a couple weeks ago and that's all I've really cared to see in the past few months.

  2. Though known for his larger-than-life screen presence, Cagney was only 5'5". How tall are you? I am 5'4".

  3. During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits this holiday weekend? No, I don't drink. But I am a teetotaler by necessity, not by choice — I'm not allergic, but my body can't metabolize alcohol. For this reason, I have never been drunk; I just black out, sweat it out, and I'm perfectly sober. On the bright side, I've never been hungover.

  4. American history was one of Crazy Sam's best subjects in school. Science was her worst. In which class did you earn your worst grades? Ironically, it was math. (I say "ironically" because I am Chinese, and also because I totally lived up to the "Chinese people are good at math" stereotype until Grade 10. Which is when it all went downhill.) I am excellent at basic math, but calculus? Algebra geometry? Forget it. I wasn't too upset about it, though. I knew I wasn't going to need to use that knowledge for what I wanted to pursue in real life. (Even before I was a makeup artist, I only wanted to pursue design and the arts.)

  5. The Fourth of July means we're in the middle of summer. Are you careful about applying sunscreen? This is bad, but I'm really not. I'm not out in the sun that often and I pretty much always wear long sleeves and leggings all year round so I don't expose that much skin. I know I should probably still apply sunscreen, but I've never consciously bothered with it unless I know I'm going to be spending copious amounts of time outdoors (e.g. when I'm at the cottage or at Canada's Wonderland).

  6. Mosquito bites can be a major summer annoyance. Are you scratching any itches right now? No, but it's only a matter of time.

  7. Emergency rooms report an increase in wrist injuries in summer, with people falling off bikes and skateboards and jamming their wrists catching hard-hit softballs. Have you recently been to the ER or Urgent Care? No, but knock on wood!

  8. New York is home to Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest every year on the 4th. Will hot dogs be consumed in your household this weekend? Nah, I can't remember the last time I actually had hot dogs in the house. No barbecues for me this holiday. (I did have rotisserie chicken and ribs from Swiss Chalet for dinner, though. That's kinda like barbecuing...) I am spending this long weekend at home, catching up on sleep, finishing the third season of iZombie on Netflix, and playing The Sims 4.

  9. Atlanta hosts a 10K Peachtree Road Race every 4th of July. Are you a runner? Dear god, no. When I was a kid, it was because I had asthma. (I did swimming instead for this very reason.) And now, it's because I'm a smoker. (Ironic. And unhealthy.)

Happy Canada 150 to my fellow Canadians!
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9