Saturday Nine: The Tide is High (1980)

on
Saturday, May 6, 2017
This week's Saturday Nine:


  1.  This song was originally performed in 1966 by a Jamaican band called The Paragons. Jamaica is the most popular vacation destination in the Caribbean. What's your ideal vacation? (Relaxing on the beach, sightseeing in a new city, skiing the slopes, spending time with family, etc.) I like exploring urban cities with interesting histories. I go to NYC every year because it's not too far from here and I can visit my brother there as well, but I'd like to go to London next year, with maybe a three day jaunt to Paris.

  2. In this song, Debbie Harry sings that she's not the kind of girl who gives up easily. How about you? Do you hang on stubbornly? Or do you know when to say "when"? I used to be a really stubborn person, but now, depending on the situation, I know when to give up or give in. There comes a time when there's no point in holding on to certain things or people anymore, and it takes some maturity and self-reflection to decide whether or not to give up on them.

  3. Blondie is a group that took it's name from the lead singer's most identifiable characteristic, her hair. If your band was named after your hair, what would it be called? Black Mahogany Reflects.

  4. Before her career as a singer took off, Debbie supported herself as a waitress. She even served drinks while wearing bunny ears and tail at The Playboy Club. Have you ever worked in food service? Yes, but it was very, very short-lived. About a decade ago, I worked at a Richtree Market for nine months as a cashier/hostess and barista because I needed a second part-time job. It was actually a lot of fun because my best friend was one of the managers and my boyfriend at the time was a cook there, so there was a group of us that always hung out after work. I eventually quit because I wanted to focus on my career in cosmetics, but aside from the shitty pay and the hideous uniform, it actually was one of the most fun jobs I ever had.

  5. Debbie points to David Bowie as a major influence on her music and career. What's your favourite Bowie song? I've never listened to a lot of Bowie, but I love "Suffragette City."

  6. In 1980, when this song was popular, the best selling issue of Rolling Stone featured Robert Redford on the cover. Who is your all-time favourite actor? Ryan Gosling, always and forever. Aside from being handsome, charming, and humble (he's Canadian, after all), he's talented as hell, both as an actor and a musician.

  7. In 1980, Ted Turner revolutionized how we watch TV when he introduced CNN. Do you have any subscriptions services in addition to cable — like Hulu, Amazon Prime or Netflix? I actually don't watch cable at all; I use Netflix exclusively.

  8. John Lennon was murdered in 1980. Today there's a specially landscaped section of Central Park called Strawberry Fields in his honour. If you had a day to spend in New York, what would you want to see? I've been to NYC many, many times because I go at least once every year, so I've been to all the traditional tourist spots already, from the Statue of Liberty to the Empire State Building to Central Park to South Street Seaport to, more recently, the National September 11 Memorial, the new World Trade Center buildings, and the Oculus. When I go to visit now, it's more so to discover new eateries and to shop around at stores that we don't have here. Although one place I haven't been to in NYC that I really want to see is the American Museum of Natural History. I'm going to NYC with my friend Ronsee in a couple weeks, so we've made it apart of our must-visit list.

  9. We're going shopping! Which do you need to add to your wardrobe: underwear, shoes or a swimsuit? Some new shoes for spring/summer. 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9