Friday Five: Over/Under

on
Friday, May 5, 2017
This week's Friday Five:
  1. What's a film you consider overrated, and what's a related or similar film you consider underrated? Most recently, I'd say Get Out is pretty overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's smart, satirical, and has some great plot twists, but it's not poignant or ingenious, nor is any of the acting phenomenal or noteworthy, and it actually really surprised me that it got a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I just remember leaving the theatre with my friend Viv, and we just both agreed: It's good, but not great. I don't regret seeing it, but it's not one I'd care to watch again. While it's not exactly similar, in the vein of twisted, gory, suspenseful, fucked up films, I'd say Drive is really underrated. It's one of my favourite movies, from the premise to the acting to the cinematography. In my opinion, it's one of Ryan Gosling's best films, and also has one of the best soundtracks, ever.


  2. What's overrated about the area in which you live, and what's underrated about it? I think the real estate market is totally overrated in the area I live in. Like, it's getting to the point where no one can afford the houses here; a semi-detached, two-car garage house is going for well over $1 million, and even then, millionaires are losing bidding wars. The houses aren't spectacularly nice or modern or anything. It's mostly that Toronto is in a real estate bubble right now. But still, I don't think the area is worth that much. As for underrated, I'd say the food scene. There's so many good, unique restaurants here that don't get enough attention.

  3. Whose talent or skill is overrated, and whose is underrated? In recent years, I'd say Taylor Swift. Don't get me wrong, she makes records that are catchy and relatable. But she's not a great musician, singer, or songwriter. As for underrated, I'd say The Pixies. They weren't underrated by critics or the press, but their music influenced countless '90s rock bands like Nirvana, Bush, Weezer, and Radiohead, who became far more popular and mainstream than The Pixies themselves.

  4. What item in the supermarket is overrated, and what's underrated? Anything organic is overrated. Also, kale. Also, quinoa. Basically, all the superfoods. Also, anything gluten-free. And, finally, sriracha. Don't get me wrong, sriracha adds just the right amount of tangy spice to certain foods like pho and fried rice, but it doesn't taste good with everything. (This totally reminds me of the hipster intern in Pitch Perfect 2 that carries around his own bottle of sriracha and puts it on his burrito.) As for underrated... I'm gonna say beets, Brussels sprouts, and turnips.

  5. What's utterly terrific except for one or two things? Ryan Gosling. Besides a couple of questionable film choices (e.g. Only God Forgives and The Place Beyond the Pines), he's basically perfect.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9