Saturday Nine: Some Guys Have All the Luck (1984)

on
Saturday, February 4, 2017
This week's Saturday Nine:


  1. Do you consider yourself lucky? Sometimes, when something happens by chance. Like, if I miss a major traffic jam on the highway by just minutes before a really bad car accident happens, or if I'm looking to get promoted at work and it just so happens that the person with the position I'm gunning for announces his/her resignation so I can actually apply for it. Or I play RRRoll Up the Rim to Win at Tim Hortons and happen to get a cup with a prize.

  2. When did you last risk money in a game of chance (lottery, raffle ticket, slot machine, etc.)? How did you do? I bought a lottery ticket a few months ago when the jackpot was at $60 million. I obviously lost because if I won that much money, I'd definitely quit my current job and spend the better part of a year traveling around the world.

  3. There's a major football game this weekend. Will you be watching? Do you have any money riding on the outcome? Definitely not. And no. I give less than zero fucks about football.

  4. The composer of this song, Jeff Fortgang, is an interesting guy who's had two disparate careers: first pop musician, then Yale-educated clinical psychologist. It's possible that many of the patients who see him for help with anxiety or depression have no idea that he wrote this song. What's something your coworkers (or, if you're not working, casual friends) would be surprised to know about you? That I have this blog, and have, in fact, had a blog in some format for well over 17 years.

  5. Similarly, fans are often surprised to learn that this week's featured artist, Rod Stewart, is a history buff who loves reading about WWII. Is there a period of time or historic event that has captured your interest? Like Rod, I love reading about WWII. I have literally spent hours at a time in a Wikipedia hole just reading about WWII and events that led up to it.

  6. Rod met his current wife as the result of a dare. Penny Lancaster, then in her 20s, spotted the decades-older celebrity in a bar and only approached him because her friends bet her she didn't have the guts to talk to him. Are you, like Penny, vulnerable to peer pressure? Can your friends talk you into doing things you might not otherwise do? No. I mean, maybe when I was a teen and in my early 20s, but I'm 30 now. If I truly don't want to do something, no one is gonna convince me otherwise.

  7. Rod vividly recalls being 11 years old and going to see Little Richard perform in a film comedy called The Girl Can't Help It. When you were a kid, did you enjoy going to the movies? What do you recall seeing? I loved going to the movies as a kid because we didn't do it often, so it was a really big treat for us. I very distinctly remember my mom taking me to watch Aladdin for my sixth birthday, the first movie I ever watched in a theatre.

  8. The lyrics tell of when Rod's car overheats and he calls a friend, who doesn't come through. Tell us about a time recently when you were there and helped a buddy out. Most of my friends ask me for emotional support more than anything else. (Like, I am not that person you ask to help you change your flat tire. I am useless in that department.) One of my friends was having a kind of nervous breakdown a little while ago and I met up with her at 1:00 in the morning just to listen and be there for her. I'm good at playing therapist.

  9. The lyrics mention that "some guys do nothing but complain." Who do you know who is like that? Do you have a friend, relative or coworker who just always seems to find fault? A couple of my co-workers are consistently negative, to the point where I actually have to tune them out. I can't stand people who only complain but can't think of any solutions to fix their problems.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9