Saturday Nine: It's a Man's Man's Man's World (1966)

on
Saturday, September 3, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)


  1. Before he was able to support himself as a musician, James Brown shined shoes, boxed, picked peanuts and delivered groceries. He admitted he didn't enjoy any of those jobs. What was your least favourite job? Being a cashier at Richtree. I quite liked the people I worked with and one of my managers was also my best friend so that aspect made it much more fun, but the job itself was the most boring and tedious.

  2. What job have you enjoyed the most? My current one. Makeup artistry is the only industry that I have actively and passionately pursued. I became a makeup artist for the pure enjoyment of it, not for the money, and I think that's what makes it different from all the jobs I had before this.

  3. James loved performing and in the mid-60s, played 335-350 dates/year. Do you have time off this weekend? Or will you be working? I worked today but I'm officially on vacation starting tomorrow! I am so excited to sleep in, you don't even know.

  4. With that gruelling schedule, James spent a lot of time on the road. Do you enjoy traveling and staying in hotels? Or are you a homebody who prefers to sleep in your own bed? I love traveling and enjoy staying in hotels for the most part (in fact, one of the best sleeps I ever had was at The Row in NYC), but nothing will ever beat the comfort of sleeping in your own bed.

  5. While Millennials are the largest generation in the workforce, millions of Baby Boomers are still part of American labour. Do you think it's easy or hard for people of different generations to work together? Or don't you think age matters? I don't think age matters at all when it comes to working together. I've worked with people twice my age and also a decade younger than me. I think it's more about attitude and personality and just plain ol' common sense.

  6. 72% of employers report that they give their employees sick days. Tell us about a time when you called in sick, but weren't. A few months ago. I think I was working like, eight or nine days in a row, and was just exhausted. Sometimes it's not about being physically ill, it's just about taking a mental break.

  7. According to the 2010 Census, 5.9 million Americans regularly work from home. Is working from home something you have/you would enjoy? Or do you benefit from interaction with coworkers? I like having interaction with coworkers. Being a makeup artist with a team means being around people all the time, and I like that social aspect of it. It makes me a better communicator, and it enables me to handle different types of people and become more patient, too. And that makes me appreciate solitude more as well. I think I'd get cabin fever working from home.

  8. 12% of workers report they prefer to report for work early — before 7:00 AM — so they can get more done. Are you a morning person? Definitely not. That having been said, when I have to wake up early, I do appreciate having more time to do things. But it doesn't mean I prefer it.

  9. The NFL season starts on September 8. How do you think your team will do this year? I honestly give zero fucks about football.
1 comment on " Saturday Nine: It's a Man's Man's Man's World (1966)"

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9