Saturday Nine: Five O'Clock World

on
Saturday, January 9, 2016
This week's Saturday Nine:


(Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.)

  1. Think back to Friday. Did it fly by? Or did you find yourself checking the clock and wishing it was 5:00? I'm sick with a cold right now and I'm in that phase where I need to blow my nose all the time (seriously, it's a wonder how much snot the human body can produce), so I called in sick to work yesterday. Nothing is less appealing than getting your makeup done by an artist whose nose is running and has a hacking, phlegmy cough, am I right? Anyway, because I was at home all day, time flew by. Also because I passed out in bed until nearly 2:00 in the afternoon. So 5:00 came and went by really fast.

  2. This song refers to the 5:00 whistle that signifies the end of the work day. What's the last whistle, alarm or buzzer you heard? My alarm this morning (I did go into work today because I felt guilty for taking so many sick days so early into the year), which is set to Sia's "Breathe Me." It's a really sad song, but the opening refrain is also very soothing and mellow (if you've never heard it, the song starts with soft piano notes), and I like waking up to something calming.

  3. In the 1960s, the Vogues often appeared on TV variety shows to promote their record albums. Do you have the TV on now, as you answer these questions? Nah. I don't watch TV often.

  4. "Vogue" means "popular or fashionable." Tell us about something that you feel is in vogue today. Contouring, overdrawn lips, matte lips, '90s makeup and fashion, anything Kylie Jenner does to her face, "strobing" (which is basically highlighting — seriously, who makes up this shit?), "baking" the face (which originated from the drag queen community — yes, we live in a world where apparently women want to look like men who want to look like women), full but extremely defined eyebrows (a.k.a. "Instagram brows"), neutral eyeshadow palettes, eagle talon nails, massive false lashes à la Kim Kardashian, Korean beauty brands, high-waisted bottoms, YouTubers (and YouTubers coming out with books)...

  5. Vogue magazine reported that the big Fall/Winter trend was brocade. Describe the latest addition to your Fall/Winter wardrobe. A black fitted lace cutout moto-style jacket from Zara.

  6. Vogue editor Anna Wintour is such a difficult boss that disgruntled employees nicknamed her "Nuclear Wintour." What qualities do you think make a good boss? Integrity, fairness, patience, compassion, personable, intelligent, reliable.

  7. Ms. Wintour was rumoured to be the inspiration for the character of Miranda in the book and movie, The Devil Wears Prada. Did you receive any books or movies for Christmas 2015? Did you receive any gift cards that you then used for books or movies? No, I don't do a lot of gift exchanges with people for Christmas. My older relatives will give us money, but that's pretty much it. The very few gift cards I've received over the past few years are usually for Sephora. I buy all of my own books and movies (these days, it's definitely more books than movies, but I did buy Pitch Perfect 2 last month); the last person to buy me a movie was my ex-boyfriend from four years ago (though to give him credit, he gave me awesome movies, like all my favourite Pixar and Disney films).

  8. "Vogue" was also a dance, made famous by Madonna in her 1990 hit by the same name. Can you name another Madonna song? "Papa Don't Preach."

  9. Random question: How organized are your clean clothes? (Stacked in piles, folded neatly in drawers, still in the dryer...?)? My nice clothes (like silky tops and jackets and stuff I wear to work) are hung in my wardrobe immediately, but underwear and pajamas and random tees and hoodies are either in a pile in my laundry basket or they're in my drawers 'cause I finally got off my lazy ass to fold them.
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9