Tove Lo: Live at Sound Academy

on
Saturday, October 17, 2015
It seems like this is the season for concerts because I went to see Tove Lo this past Tuesday, just a week after seeing CHVRCHES. I'm not a die-hard Tove Lo fan, per se, but I really love her record, Queen of the Clouds, so when I saw that she was coming to Toronto to perform at Sound Academy (and tickets were only $30), I thought it would be a fun time. Tove Lo isn't quite a household name yet, but she is getting played more and more on the radio and her videos get millions of views on YouTube (her songs are played everywhere, but most people don't know who's singing them). What turned me on to her, actually, was her song "Scream My Name," which was her contribution to The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 soundtrack (and was beautifully curated by Lorde). But what I love about her music, aside from the insanely catchy hooks, is that her lyrics are charmingly blunt but are executed in a way that is somehow dark and dancey at the same time. This girl seriously slays it live, and in a rare instance in modern pop music, I think she actually sounds better and more dynamic in her live performances than on her record — which is saying a lot, because her record is fantastic.

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

Tove Lo

My only complaint is not of Tove Lo herself or her performance, but actually the crowd. See, I typically go to rock shows and, sure, it gets violent, but it's because of mosh pits and rowdy energy and it's usually out of good fun. I wasn't sure what to expect from a general admission, all ages pop show (I saw Ellie Goulding in 2012, also at Sound Academy, but it was a 19+ show which apparently makes a vast difference). The audience was really quite a mixed bag, but when I saw one girl pour her drink down another girl's shirt thus starting a massive catfight, one thing was made abundantly clear: I am way too fucking old to tolerate drunk college bitches. 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9